Broadband speeds not as expected

Reaction score
Hi I've seen my speed drop by more than I feel is expected.

Been with Plusnet since 2004 I went to FTTC nearly 18 months ago. Initially the speed were: wow, I was getting close on 37mps at the best. Then through last year I saw it drop.so I spoke with them, and that's not the ISP I signed up for, I could speak to the night shift at say 1AM and get through in a few mins. They cut that now its 8am till 10 approx now so don't wast your time unless it urgent, whatever.

Anyway this year I told them it was crap and I was going to leave, they offered an upgrade to 55. I never saw that now depending whose figure you take it's now: BT 23mps or Thinkbroadband 29mps.

I complained so they 'took a look an said I needed an engineer's visit. He said it was my my desk's handset, so I purchased a new one, but no change. So on night I disconnected our home PABX (my wife has an educational practice) took all the kit out, left it for hald an hour then didn't some tests, there was no change (from sixty smackers)

I'm going to tell them either they get their act together or I'll go to Zen. I'm using my own ASUS DSL AC88U as theirs are shall we say lacking. So am I unusual, probably not. I have the full package from them, no TV but international/mobiles etc so it isn't a cheap one deal. BC

Reaction score
50 Mbps would be approaching what I should have but I aint! BC

Attachments

• bt speedtest 6 8 18.png
    bt speedtest 6 8 18.png
    53.8 KB · Views: 298

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hey Beecee, I've split this from the article discussion as it deserves its own thread rather than in the article discussion. :)

Regarding your problem. Do you know how far you are from the FTTC cabinet? That is what will affect your speeds, along with the amount of noise on the line.

If you dial 17070 and do option 2 do you hear any hissing/crackling etc on the line?

Can you post the connection stats from your router/modem? (the numbers I'm interested in are the SNR, Attenuation and the attainable and connection speeds etc)

Try this and post the results - http://www.speedtest.net/

I'd also like to see what your results from this are: https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

Reaction score
Hi. The cabinet is less that half a mile (maybe less as the crow flies). No hissing that I can hear. I'll send the rest later BC

Reaction score
I've had better days, was about to reinstall Win10Pro after my recent rebuild of my desktop, but event, events.
The ASUS wireless packed up so after spending a few fruitless hour reverted the old Plusnet modem & router which I cannot get access so that tech intel will have to wait. If the ASUS is faulty its six weeks old then I'm not taking a replacement as its the 3rd in nine months. I'm adding some files as suggested one supposedly tells me I can have 32-45mps, if only. If ASUS tech support and I know quite well fix this tomorrow I'll let you know. BC

Attachments

• Plusnet offer.png
    Plusnet offer.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 249
  • BT Tues nine thirty.png
    BT Tues nine thirty.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 259
  • speedtest 6 8 18.png
    speedtest 6 8 18.png
    64.2 KB · Views: 264

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Half a mile by road? Remember the line length will be much more. Hence your lower speeds.

Crosstalk will have an affect on your speeds too, the more people taking up VDSL on your cab will cause crosstalk and it only takes one person to be worse than most to screw up everyone else. Sadly that is the luck of the draw as they call it as a BT engineer will not be able to fix it.

Need to see line stats really. Speed test results tell us nothing about the quality of the line, which is ultimately what will have the final say on your speeds.

As much as I love Asus routers, their modems are crap. I wouldn't touch a 'DSL' version of their kit. I much prefer a separate modem. That way I can configure the router as much as I like without having to re sync the modem which can cause DLM to interfere. I'm using an unlocked HG612 so I have full access to the CLI and all the stats - highly recommended if you really want to see how healthy your line is.

Reaction score
Hi I get what you're saying. Right now I'm using the PlusNet kit, thought I'd give them one chance, tried the Chat which was down (all this week) so called them, 'only' a twenty minute wait and spoke with a guy who seemed reasonable. Outcome he wants me to do some tests and he has raised my concerns, so work in progress. We shall see!
Its such a pain but that why they make CRM a hassle, but a proper service would resolve most of the chatter. I'll come back when I have news. I need to understand more about the tech of these machines, which I don't. BC

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Is it the Plusnet Hub One you have?

I found this on the PN forums...

You can get stats from the hub one if you visit http://192.168.1.254 then click troubleshooting and then help desk.

Reaction score
Hi
Finally got the spare time to check on this.
I've got a 510n router I've got to get to the back box (which is currently obscured by two large shelving cabinets then got to the next one, then leave it for 48 hours whilst they monitor it. One reason why I ditched their kit as I'm unable to Port Forwarding with it not that I've needed this option recently. OK I'm always open to suggestions etc, so what Modem would you suggest, as I'd say this is of the older variety? BC

Reaction score
Ah the more I read the more I ....
But one aspect I'm not sure there modems setups offer if a USB/dongle as since we do get outages I'd like to have a fallback option with a dongle and SIM. I shall continue to learn more. Thanks BC

Reaction score
OK so I've returned my ASUS DSL AC88U a week ago and am using the Plus-net setup using the Openreach Fibre SSFP flat plate. Had a call from them saying my connection had been stable for 5 days and I was getting 32MPS and that within the parameters. That I should not depend on the results from speedtest.btwholesale.com as its not proving reliable. Seemed a nice guy and sounded honest so I have to believe him. He suggested personally the all in one hardware was easier to navigate and handle. I replied that my was also my opinion but after three AC88U I was going to stick with the Plusnet and get that Linksys EA9500. So I either stick with this modem add a 3pack Tenda Nova MW3 and or locate another VDSL modem/router, decisions decisions! BC

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'd stick wit hthe Plusnet Hub one if I were you to be honest. It should be fine for your needs.

You can see the line stats, I'd be interested in seeing them if possible. As per my post earlier. A screenshot or copy and paste of that page would be great.

You can get stats from the hub one if you visit http://192.168.1.254 then click troubleshooting and then help desk.

Reaction score
Hi V_R Thanks for your interest and my apologies for my 'delayed reaction'. Yes I'd like to have the those stats as well. OK so I went into the modem/router but I failed to locate troubleshooting and then help desk I'm not saying that Ive had the time in the past to 'explore' it as I've always used ASUS combined kit for several years. I'm attaching some of screenshots for you to view. I've got those Tenda NovaMW3 on order as we don't get as good coverage around the property as the ASUS gave, and also there's no harm in asking PlusNet if they'll supply their latest gear as well. Cheers BC

Attachments

• plusnet kit.jpg
    plusnet kit.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 225
  • connectivity 26 8 18.jpg
    connectivity 26 8 18.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 185
  • Broadband 26 8 18.jpg
    Broadband 26 8 18.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 201
Reaction score
Got the TENDA NOVA MP3 but my faux pas is that I'm not able to complete the install the as neither my trusty Lumina 925 or * Fire7 tab have an app. In the end I've bought an inexpensive Nokia Android mobile for £50 as my reckoning is that all the good routers would set me back two hundred smackers so I'm better off by fifty quid and I can view the signal of the one connected as a BIG improvement on my PlusNet router so I'm looking forward to seeing the trio connected. Amazon seem to be the biggest vendor of these and I spoke to them and they admitted they need a Fire App. Tenda replied that they were 'considering' this requirement. I shall report after the install. BC

Reaction score
Don't come to Australia. My average download speed with Australia's brand new NBN setup is 10.73 and average upload speed is 4.72. The maximum I can expect for "overnight" use is apparently 16.7 (upload) but I think overnight means between about 3 and 6am so I haven't experienced that yet. I spend a lot of time twiddling my thumbs waiting for the internet.

Ask a Question