Bridge on the network

Martin Racette

Hi

I have a notebook computer and a desktop, both link in a wireless network. About
2 weeks ago, I had to re-install the whole system on my notebook, and ever since
it installed a bridge for the wireless NIC, a D-Link DWL-G650.

When I disable the bridge and let the NIC handle the connection I can go on the
Internet, I can see the other computer but I can not access it nor can I access
the notebook from the desktop.

What is the bridge for anyway, before I re-install the NIC was connected
directly to the network but not anymore.

Any help would be appreciated

--
Thank you in Advance

Merci a l'Avance

Martin

Ken Wickes [MSFT]

Delete the bridge. Disabling it will basically disable all its member
adapters.

Martin Racette

I have done what you suggested, but I still can't access the other computer on
the network, but I do can navigate the Internet.

What should I do to fix this now, and could somebody tell me what is a bridge
for ?

--
Thank you in Advance

Merci a l'Avance

Martin

Martin Racette said:
Hi

I have a notebook computer and a desktop, both link in a wireless network. About
2 weeks ago, I had to re-install the whole system on my notebook, and ever since
it installed a bridge for the wireless NIC, a D-Link DWL-G650.

When I disable the bridge and let the NIC handle the connection I can go on the
Internet, I can see the other computer but I can not access it nor can I access
the notebook from the desktop.

What is the bridge for anyway, before I re-install the NIC was connected
directly to the network but not anymore.

Any help would be appreciated

--
Thank you in Advance

Merci a l'Avance

Martin

Ken Wickes [MSFT]

A bridge is for joining two networks together, typically a wired and
wireless network.

Can you ping from one machine to the other?

--

Ken Wickes [MSFT]

Martin Racette said:
[...]

no I can not ping the other machine from either unless I use the bridge on the
notebook

--
Thank you in Advance

Merci a l'Avance

Martin

Martin Racette said:
[...]

Is the notebook's wired NIC connected to anything? Does it help if you
disable it?

--

Ken Wickes [MSFT]

Martin Racette said:
[...]

The onboard NIC is not connected, and has not been used since I last re-install
the whole system. I have used the "wired" NIC before I had to re-install (that
was before I installed the wireless NIC) and after I installed the wireless I
never had a bridge, and everything was working fine

I don't know how that bridge was created

--
Thank you in Advance

Merci a l'Avance

Martin

Martin Racette said:
[...]

rights.

[...]

Tom

This Microsoft Knowledge Base Article might help.
http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...t.com/support/kb/articles/q283/4/29.asp#Task1

Tom March

Martin Racette said:
[...]

Not really, because Inever used the Network Wizard to setup my network, it was
recognized at once, with all the share folder, etc...

BTW. the bridge appeared about a week after I re-installed the entire notebook,
after a reboot

--
Thank you in Advance

Merci a l'Avance

Martin

Martin Racette said:
[...]

I'm experiencing the same symptoms. Did you ever resolve this?

"Martin Racette" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I had to completly de-install the whole NIC and to physically remove it,
reboot without it and then re-install the NIC and everything is working as it
should ever since

--
Thank you in Advance

Merci a l'Avance