bridge.dll file

G

Glen Martin

I get a lot of pop ups using Explorer and have cleaned
junk out of my system periodically with Ad-Aware 6.0.

Today when I ran Ad-Aware, it said it could not delete a
particular file until 'no other users were using' - and
then asked if I wanted to eliminate it on reboot. This is
how I successfully removed some junk before. But after
the reboot, it now sales 'file not found' for bridge.dll -
which is apparently from WINDOWS\system32\

Do I need this file? How can I restore it if needed, and
eliminate the 'not found' message on every reboot? Thanks.
Glen Martin, Seattle

G

----- Glen Martin wrote: ----

I get a lot of pop ups using Explorer and have cleaned
junk out of my system periodically with Ad-Aware 6.0

Today when I ran Ad-Aware, it said it could not delete a
particular file until 'no other users were using' - and
then asked if I wanted to eliminate it on reboot. This is
how I successfully removed some junk before. But after
the reboot, it now sales 'file not found' for bridge.dll -
which is apparently from WINDOWS\system32
Do I need this file? How can I restore it if needed, and
eliminate the 'not found' message on every reboot? Thanks
Glen Martin, Seattl

Bridge.dll is spyware and is left over from ad-aware's removal.Try running A/A again in safe mode to remove i
or do it manually via the registry

G

bridge.dll is part of a spyware program, it was on my computer too. It loaded an executable into my task manager and when I caught it and went looking, it auto-deleted. Self-destructed. An older Trojan was loaded through this routine, right under the nose of Norton's Auto-Protect. Trend Micro's Housecall online scanner caught the beastie and removed it. I installed Ad-aware 6 about two hours later. I had already uninstalled "bridge" through Add/Remove Programs. I've had no instances of recurrence, sorry. Ad-aware 6 did find (yeah, thanks, Hewlett-Packard) no less than 79 WildTangent registry entries, ANOTHER Trojan, and 6 other items including Alexa references. I think there's more, yet, but haven't traced all of it. Go to Add/remove Programs and see if "bridge" is listed there. Nasty little Trojan downloader. Lose it if at all possible, you DON'T need it. Go to the Housecall page at Trend's website, I saw the URL somewhere here but if you can't find it go to pc-cillin.com, click the link to Housecall and download/install/run their online scaller. Let them clean out what they find and if it can't, follow their instructions to finish the removal. I'd give you the name of the specific Trojan but can't recall all of it: Trojan_small.something-or-other. I found it in Trend Micro's virus list, got the removal instructions, and found that part of the registry changes that it makes hadn't been fixed yet. It hasn't been back yet but I'm watching. I think "bridge" downloaded and installed via a pop-up "Do you want to download and install" window. I clicked the red "X" instead of rightclick/Close. Best of luck.

Ask a Question