    http://how-can-you-tell-if-both-cpu...DRavP7BZaxooRzg1G7Xz58gkK_8z67xR2WFGZOgXVzcaA

    http://how-can-you-tell-if-both-cpu...DToIDxyQeoLEHUyiBLkDwe8IdEAhumLrGwkQDWveO3DqA

    , Feb 13, 2007

  2. Alex Mizrahi Guest

    (message (Hello ')
    (you :wrote :blush:n '(12 Feb 2007 18:01:23 -0800))
    (

    C> Hey guys, I was just curious how to test if both cores work. I have a
    C> AMD 4200X2 and in Everest home edition under Motherboard - CPU it
    C> shows CPU Utilization and both cores. Core #2 is always the one that
    C> handles the loads. How if the software wrong or my CPU running
    C> inefficiently?

    C> Check out the 2 images I uploaded if you're curious what I mean.

    cpu utilization is 54% on this image, so there's enough work only for 0.51
    CPU, not for 2 CPUs.
    run some two heavy tasks (if you can't find one, check some benchmark, like
    cpu burn or whatever).
    i'm not sure, but that Everest might have a button to run benchmarks on both
    cores..

    )
    "?? ???? ??????? ?????")

    Alex Mizrahi, Feb 13, 2007

  3. SteveSch Guest

    On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 18:01:23 -0800, Chris8786 wrote:

    > Hey guys, I was just curious how to test if both cores work. I have a AMD
    > 4200X2 and in Everest home edition under Motherboard - CPU it shows CPU
    > Utilization and both cores. Core #2 is always the one that handles the
    > loads. How if the software wrong or my CPU running inefficiently?

    Both cores appear to be working. What OS? My understanding is that XP Home
    won't use both cpus. Could be wrong though.

    Watch your load meter (photo #1) and run several programs at the same
    time. Make them programs that use some cpu cycles. Having firefox, and
    your email program just sitting open won't use many.

    I have a dual Xeon system, Linux. I can really see both cpus working
    when I am encoding a video while working with graphics. My browser will be
    downloading mp3 along with several other open programs, but they aren't
    taking many cycles.

    Many folks have ran 2 instances of Prime95. Do a google search on dual
    core stability testing. They will tell you how to work both cores.

    Steve

    SteveSch, Feb 13, 2007
  4. ComStat Guest

    I use SpeedFan 2.8. It shows both cores being utilized, memory, and
    fan speed.

    n Tue, 13 Feb 2007 07:39:43 -0700, SteveSch <THISEMAIL@IS_FAKE.COM>

    ComStat, Feb 13, 2007

    On Feb 13, 9:38 am, "Alex Mizrahi" <>
    wrote:
    > (message (Hello ')
    > (you :wrote :blush:n '(12 Feb 2007 18:01:23 -0800))
    > (
    >
    > C> Hey guys, I was just curious how to test if both cores work. I have a
    > C> AMD 4200X2 and in Everest home edition under Motherboard - CPU it
    > C> shows CPU Utilization and both cores. Core #2 is always the one that
    > C> handles the loads. How if the software wrong or my CPU running
    > C> inefficiently?
    >
    > C> Check out the 2 images I uploaded if you're curious what I mean.
    >
    > cpu utilization is 54% on this image, so there's enough work only for 0.51
    > CPU, not for 2 CPUs.
    > run some two heavy tasks (if you can't find one, check some benchmark, like
    > cpu burn or whatever).
    > i'm not sure, but that Everest might have a button to run benchmarks on both
    > cores..
    >
    > )
    > (With-best-regards '(Alex Mizrahi) :aka 'killer_storm)
    > "?? ???? ??????? ?????")

    Thanks for the posts, well maybe I haven't worked it hard enough.
    I'll try pushing it more. I'm using XP Pro x64 edition. I was just
    worried that I wasn't getting the bang for my buck. Next time I rip a
    CD ill run a virus scan and launch photoshop or something and see if
    I can get both cores to give a load reading. Whats some good
    benchmark software thats easy to use? I haven't got into overclocking
    or anything.

    , Feb 16, 2007

    Ok here's what I've got. I'm guessing that maybe this software can't
    read both cores load and add both loads and displays in the 2nd core.

    I ran a virus scan, Windows Defender Scan, Spybot Scan, and launched
    Photoshop CS2 and the load hit 100% just a few quick time and never
    showed a load under Core #1. Task manager shows 100% CPU usage. Do
    you guys still think my PC might be under utilized? Any other way to
    get a for sure reading on both cores?

    , Feb 17, 2007
  7. Noozer Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Ok here's what I've got. I'm guessing that maybe this software can't
    > read both cores load and add both loads and displays in the 2nd core.
    >
    > I ran a virus scan, Windows Defender Scan, Spybot Scan, and launched
    > Photoshop CS2 and the load hit 100% just a few quick time and never
    > showed a load under Core #1. Task manager shows 100% CPU usage. Do
    > you guys still think my PC might be under utilized? Any other way to
    > get a for sure reading on both cores?

    What OS?

    Noozer, Feb 17, 2007

    > > Ok here's what I've got. I'm guessing that maybe this software can't
    > > read both cores load and add both loads and displays in the 2nd core.

    > > I ran a virus scan, Windows Defender Scan, Spybot Scan, and launched
    > > Photoshop CS2 and the load hit 100% just a few quick time and never
    > > showed a load under Core #1. Task manager shows 100% CPU usage. Do
    > > you guys still think my PC might be under utilized? Any other way to
    > > get a for sure reading on both cores?

    You could try Hot CPU from www.7byte.com, which does good testing of
    CPUs. I have a dual core Intel, and it seems to split the load
    somewhat evenly between the cores. It has never had one core maxed out
    and the other idle, and I would be worried too. Of course you have
    AMD, but I think that program might help you. It takes a long time to
    test, though (5 hours).

    Josh

    , Feb 18, 2007