Boot Problems

Frank Williams

Over the last 5 months or more having Boot Stalls very erratic once a
day or 2 - 3 days, a reboot is OK..

Windows 7 Pro startup screen just hangs at about 85% into the boot
process with the HD led flashing every second.

Also did that the same when XP was on the same drive as a dual boot, but
managed to get my Old HP scanner running under Widows 7 so no need for
the dual boot.

Drive is a ST350041AS and was fitted back in March 2009, these were
sold with a 5 year warranty.

HD Sentinel gives it a 86% rating, has 2 relocated Sectors for some time
but also 4 spin retry count that just went up yesterday, the Raw reed
errors are up in the 200,00,000 Seagate tools do not show any fault even
a full run in Dos mode or any check disk errors

HD Sentinal report on the Spin up count

Problems occurred during the spin up of the disk 4 times. This can be
caused by the disk itself or huge power load (weak power supply).

The Enemax 485W PSU is old 2005 install

Might be cheaper to just replace the PSU but the computers shows no
error or any other problems and when it pauses the boot its around 85%
of the boot process.

Memtest is OK.

The ntbtlog shows is stops after this driver
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\USBSTOR.SYS

And when its OK these are the next 4 drivers get loaded but not all of
the time.

Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\fastfat.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\monitor.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbccgp.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\hidusb.sys

Plus a page more.

I could rush in and Replace the HD/PSU but I would like some sort of
pointer that is more specific.

Any recommends on a Good All round 1TB drive not a WD Black as that is
a over kill.

Rod Speed

Frank Williams said:
Over the last 5 months or more having Boot Stalls
very erratic once a day or 2 - 3 days, a reboot is OK..
Windows 7 Pro startup screen just hangs at about 85% into
the boot process with the HD led flashing every second.

If it does keep stopping at the same place all
the time, its very likely a particular spot on
the hard drive that there is difficulty reading.

Not clear what you mean by reboot is OK, presumably
you mean it stalls on a cold start, but the reboot always
works fine after it has stalled. That would imply a warmup
fault. What happens if you do a boot without letting the
system cool down ? If it never has a problem then, that
is more evidence of a warmup fault. Unfortunately that
doesn't say anything much about where the warm up
fault is tho.
Also did that the same when XP was on the same drive
as a dual boot, but managed to get my Old HP scanner
running under Widows 7 so no need for the dual boot.
Drive is a ST350041AS and was fitted back in March
2009, these were sold with a 5 year warranty.
HD Sentinel gives it a 86% rating, has 2 relocated Sectors for some
time but also 4 spin retry count that just went up yesterday,

That implys that it might well be the drive, because of
the spin retry count, more evidence of a warm up fault.
the Raw reed errors are up in the 200,00,000

That's normal for Seagate drives, they use that field differently.
Seagate tools do not show any fault even a
full run in Dos mode or any check disk errors
HD Sentinal report on the Spin up count
Problems occurred during the spin up of the disk 4 times. This can be
caused by the disk itself or huge power load (weak power supply).
The Enemax 485W PSU is old 2005 install
Might be cheaper to just replace the PSU but the computers
shows no error or any other problems and when it pauses
the boot its around 85% of the boot process.
Memtest is OK.
The ntbtlog shows is stops after this driver
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\USBSTOR.SYS

Pretty good evidence of a warm up fault in what its driving.
And when its OK these are the next 4 drivers
get loaded but not all ofthe time.
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\fastfat.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\monitor.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbccgp.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\hidusb.sys
Plus a page more.
I could rush in and Replace the HD/PSU but I would
like some sort of pointer that is more specific.

I think its unlikely to be either of those, more likely
its a warm up fault in what USBSTOR.SYS is driving.

That would also explain why it stalls when booting XP
too, likely starting the same driver, for the same reason.
Any recommends on a Good All round 1TB
drive not a WD Black as that is a over kill.

I wouldn't change it myself.

Looks rather more like the motherboard has a warmup fault.

Frank Williams

If it does keep stopping at the same place all
the time, its very likely a particular spot on
the hard drive that there is difficulty reading.

XP was removed W7 was clean loaded and No Disk errors show up on any
tests at all.
Not clear what you mean by reboot is OK, presumably
you mean it stalls on a cold start, but the reboot always
works fine after it has stalled. That would imply a warmup
fault. What happens if you do a boot without letting the
system cool down ? If it never has a problem then, that
is more evidence of a warmup fault. Unfortunately that
doesn't say anything much about where the warm up
fault is tho.

No any time of day not just the firsts cold boot, and the retry boot was
allways OK.

Rod Speed

Frank Williams said:
XP was removed W7 was clean loaded and No Disk errors show up on any
tests at all.
No any time of day not just the firsts cold
boot, and the retry boot was allways OK.

That basically suggests that there is some problem with
the USB subsystem that sees the driver, USBSTOR.SYS
have a problem starting on a boot, but a reboot always
works and no warmup fault.

That still suggests a motherboard hardware fault.

What happens if there are no USB storage devices
plugged into the system during the boot ?

Frank Williams

Hi Rod

Looked at the Agent list of ALL posts for 2014 and not any list as the
same as mind.

So no way did I pinch any ones else's Thunder

So to be safe Brought a new 1TB WD Blue and a new Enermax 500W PSU
this old one is rated at 485W..

My other drive a 750GB WD Green shows no errors after 460 Days use,
the Seagate ST3500320AS was showing errors in the same year a brought it
in 2009.

Rod Speed

Frank Williams said:
Looked at the Agent list of ALL posts for
2014 and not any list as the same as mind.

And if you had used groups.google you could have
seen a hell of a lot more posts, so may have found
something relevant.
So no way did I pinch any ones else's Thunder

I wasn't talking about pinching anyone's thunder,
just talking about whether starting your own thread
instead of posting to Ant's would make it easier for
someone like you who is researching old posts using
groups.google or just plain google to find.
So to be safe Brought a new 1TB WD Blue and a
new Enermax 500W PSU this old one is rated at 485W..

Sure, but what happened to the boot fault ?
My other drive a 750GB WD Green shows no errors
after 460 Days use, the Seagate ST3500320AS was
showing errors in the same year a brought it in 2009.

Yeah, some drives do handle power flicks better than others.

Frank Williams

And if you had used groups.google you could have
seen a hell of a lot more posts, so may have found
something relevant.

I DONT Use Google Groops and never ever will, thats only use by Dummies
that don't use a news server..

I wasn't talking about pinching anyone's thunder,
just talking about whether starting your own thread
instead of posting to Ant's would make it easier for
someone like you who is researching old posts using
groups.google or just plain google to find.

Sure, but what happened to the boot fault ?

It only arrived yesterday and it will have to wait to I can get around
to it..

Rod Speed

I DONT Use Google Groops and never ever will, thats
only use by Dummies that don't use a news server..

You keep confusing what is used for reading current
posts and posting with that is used for archived posts.

With groups with as low a volume as this group,
a news server has **** all of the historical posts.

Noob

Frank said:
This is Usenet Not a Forum

Ant is right, you hijacked his thread.

Just look at your message's header:

From: Frank Williams <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Subject: Boot Problems
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 16:21:36 +1200

See the References field? That means your message was a reply to
Ant's message. If you want to start a new thread, you can't just
reply to an existing message, and change the subject.

Regards.

Frank Williams

From: Frank Williams <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 16:21:36 +1200

See the References field? That means your message was a reply to
Ant's message. If you want to start a new thread, you can't just
reply to an existing message, and change the subject.

Regards.

I did NOT REPLY to any Past Posts, I made the Post full stop.

I've been using the Usenet since 1980 when it was available here all
done via Unix..

So you all have made a Mistake.

JW

I did NOT REPLY to any Past Posts,

Yes, you did. If you hadn't, there would be no reference line pointing to
the Usenet message you replied to. See above, I've underlined it.
I made the Post full stop.

WTF does that mean?
I've been using the Usenet since 1980 when it was available here all
done via Unix..

34 years and you don't know what a reference line is? Incredible!
And you often top-post to boot...
So you all have made a Mistake.

Sorry chum, it is *you* that is in error here.

Rod Speed

I did NOT REPLY to any Past Posts,

You did actually, as the references field shows.
I made the Post full stop.

That may be what you intended to do, but you didn't
succeed in doing what you thought you were doing.
I've been using the Usenet since 1980 when
it was available here all done via Unix..

Irrelevant to what you did with that particular post.
So you all have made a Mistake.

Nope, you did and are still doing.

That is what the References field means.

There is no References field with the first post to a new thread.

Frank Williams

Yes, you did. If you hadn't, there would be no reference line pointing to
the Usenet message you replied to. See above, I've underlined it.

WTF does that mean?

34 years and you don't know what a reference line is? Incredible!
And you often top-post to boot...

Sorry chum, it is *you* that is in error here.

I WILL STATE AGAIN I DID NOT REPLY TO ANY POSTS AL ALL GET IT

My Usenet set up used mutable Usenet servers its the server that has
stuffed it up, I will se if I can use it with out that server in my list

Frank Williams

Frank, we all make mistakes. This was just your turn (and yes, the
and move on.

I D0O NOT LIKE BEING ACUSED OF SOME THING THAT I HAVE NOT DONE, ITS THE
SERVER THAT IS ON MY LIST THAT HAS MADE THE MISTAKE I WILL TRY AND SE IF
I NEED THAT SERVER.

Frank Williams

You did actually, as the references field shows.

That may be what you intended to do, but you didn't
succeed in doing what you thought you were doing.

Irrelevant to what you did with that particular post.

Nope, you did and are still doing.

That is what the References field means.

There is no References field with the first post to a new thread.

THE SERVER STUFFED IT UP NOT ME, I WILL TRY AND REMOVE THAT SERVER FROM
MY LIST

Frank Williams

You did actually, as the references field shows.

That may be what you intended to do, but you didn't
succeed in doing what you thought you were doing.

Irrelevant to what you did with that particular post.

Nope, you did and are still doing.

That is what the References field means.

There is no References field with the first post to a new thread.

THE SERVER MADE THE MISSTAKE I HAVE NOW REMOVED THAT SERVER FROM MY LIST
( Mixmin)

I WILL STATE AGAIN AND AGAIN I DID NOT POST A REPLY FULL STOP. GO LIVE
WITH IT

IVE BEEN IN THE COMPUTER GAME (Main Frame ones) FOR SOME 30+ YEARS AND
NOTHNG IS PERFECT THINGS GO WRONG

SO ALL OF YOU GO WIND YOU HEAD IN AND SAY SORRY FOR ACUSING ME FOR SOME
THING THAT I DID NOT DO.