Boot problems

JH

Hi,
When I boot up and get to the desktop,I have the
message 'to reactivate your active desktop click here' or
words to that effect. I can't click on it and as soon as
I click the mouse any where I can't access any files.
If I hit Ctl alt del and then task manager it hangs. I
have tried booting in safe mode and that works, if I boot
in 'last known good configuration' it does the same thing
and I cant access my files. Any ideas?

Pegasus \(MVP\)

If Safe Mode works then you have a problem with one of your
adapters or one of your startup tasks. Remove all your non-essential
adapters (sound, network) and try again. If this does not help then
get a free copy of one of these programs

http://www.sysinternals.com
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

and use it to identify and disable your startup tasks one at a
time. When your system works normally again then you will
know which startup task is causing it to malfunction.

Kevin McNiel [MSFT]

If you have access to a computer running Windows XP, search on that
computer for Msconfig.exe. Copy it to a floppy disk, start your Windows
2000 computer in Safe Mode, choose Selective Startup, uncheck Startup
items, click on the Services tab, check the box to "Hide all Microsoft
Services", uncheck the remaining services, click OK, and then restart the
computer. The items in the Startup folder, run keys in the Registry, and
services you unchecked will not start. If your computer works as it should,
start adding items back in the Msconfig utility until you identify the
cause of the problem. Knowledge Base article 310560 How to Troubleshoot By
Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP
(http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560) describes the process you would
follow, even though the article is written for Windows XP.

From: "JH" <[email protected]>
Sender: "JH" <[email protected]>
Subject: Boot problems
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 15:00:01 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general

Hi,
When I boot up and get to the desktop,I have the
message 'to reactivate your active desktop click here' or
words to that effect. I can't click on it and as soon as
I click the mouse any where I can't access any files.
If I hit Ctl alt del and then task manager it hangs. I
have tried booting in safe mode and that works, if I boot
in 'last known good configuration' it does the same thing
and I cant access my files. Any ideas?

Kevin McNiel, MCSE/MCSA
Platform Server Setup Group

Please reply to the Group only, This address cannot receive incoming
messages.