Boot Problem

M

Marty

OS=XP-Sp2. Boot proceeds no farther than the screen where "Windows is
starting up" usually appears. That screen appears, but that statement
doesn't. The HDD appears to be trying to do something, but nothing happens.
Suggestions and\or directions will be appreciated.

R

Ron Badour

Did you try to boot in safe mode or from the last known good configuration?
If not, try tapping the F8 key when the boot sequence begins.

M

Marty

Yes, I tried Safe Mode. Same results.

Need to say this is an HDD that I cloned using WD's "Data Lifeguard Tools",
which reported no problem in the process.

R

Ron Badour

So what you have is a cloned hard drive that has never booted before. If
so, sounds like the cloning process did not work right. I have not used WD
tools to do this but I have used other programs and the cloning process
worked for me.

G

Gary Brandenburg

Marty-
I just recently used the Data Lifeguard Tools on my parents PC to transfer their HDD
to a bigger 1 & some of the things didn't make the transfer too well(even though it
claimed that everything did,except the restore points & the hibernation files).
After having to reinstall certain programs & editing the boot files,I finally got it
to what I thought was a good running condition & left it with them.
Well,since I didn't know what other problems might surface while I wasn't there,& not
wanting to take any chances,the next day I downloaded the trial version of Acronis 11
their machine & used the disk cloning operation & when it rebooted, this time,there
were no problems with anything .
I had Acronis Home 10 on my machine & I can vouch that it's a great backup program(&
highly recommended here),but never used it for anything else till then. I ended up
buying Acronis 11 for my own machine & installing my copy of Acronis 10 on theirs.
Give it a try-I think that you'll have better success with Acronis True Image over
the Data Lifeguard Tools.

~Gary

M

Marty

Ron: This is not the first time I've used "Data Lifeguard Tools" to clone. It
is the first time I've had a problem. The 'cloned' HDD is good for backup.
Just won't boot. So I'm going to be content with that. Thanks for your
responses.

M

Marty

Gary: Thanks for the info. Perhaps I'll give Acronis a try. But, there's
another problem I've encountered, namely, the file "tracking.log" in System
Volume Information folder. It won't allow a Spyware or virus scan. Hangs them
up so they can't even be canceled. Even just clicking on it, either to open
it or check its properties, completely hangs up the computer requiring a
manual shutdown and restart. I tried deleting it from C:>. Was able to change
the attributes OK, but it wouldn't delete. So I wonder what will happen when
Acronis reaches that point in the cloning. I guess I can try and see. In the
meantime, do you or anyone else who reads this know a way to get that file
deleted?

G

Gary Brandenburg

The System Volume folder is what contains your restore points.
You can either run Disk Cleanup,then click on the "More Options" tab & remove all,but
the most recent, restore point or disable System Restore,altogether, which will
remove all restore points.
Otherwise-have you tried to remove the entry while in Safe Mode?

~Gary

M

Marty

Gary: I was able to delete the file in Safe Mode but it returned with the
same effects after regular re-boot. Looks like it's a file put there by the
system. Thanks for your advice. Any other suggestions?

G

Gary Brandenburg

Google is your friend-
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ons_inline&resnum=0&ct=revision&cd=1According to this:http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/471866-c-system-volume-information-2.htmlthis is a file that you should not remove;<You can safely delete anything EXCEPT the "MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase" file andthe "tracking.log" file.>Also take a look here:http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2003/11/20/55764.aspx for more on restorepoints & how to remove them(other than the ways that I previously told you).Take a look on down the page on the Google search.You're not alone.~Gary"Marty" <[email protected]> wrote in messageGary: I was able to delete the file in Safe Mode but it returned with the> same effects after regular re-boot. Looks like it's a file put there by the> system. Thanks for your advice. Any other suggestions?>> "Gary Brandenburg" wrote:>>> The System Volume folder is what contains your restore points.>> You can either run Disk Cleanup,then click on the "More Options" tab & removeall,but>> the most recent, restore point or disable System Restore,altogether, which will>> remove all restore points.>> Otherwise-have you tried to remove the entry while in Safe Mode?>>>> ~Gary>>>> "Marty" <[email protected]> wrote in message>> > Gary: Thanks for the info. Perhaps I'll give Acronis a try. But, there's>> > another problem I've encountered, namely, the file "tracking.log" in System>> > Volume Information folder. It won't allow a Spyware or virus scan. Hangs them>> > up so they can't even be canceled. Even just clicking on it, either to open>> > it or check its properties, completely hangs up the computer requiring a>> > manual shutdown and restart. I tried deleting it from C:>. Was able to change>> > the attributes OK, but it wouldn't delete. So I wonder what will happen when>> > Acronis reaches that point in the cloning. I guess I can try and see. In the>> > meantime, do you or anyone else who reads this know a way to get that file>> > deleted?>> >>> > "Gary Brandenburg" wrote:>> >>> >> Marty->> >> I just recently used the Data Lifeguard Tools on my parents PC to transfertheir>> >> HDD>> >> to a bigger 1 & some of the things didn't make the transfer too well(eventhough>> >> it>> >> claimed that everything did,except the restore points & the hibernation files).>> >> After having to reinstall certain programs & editing the boot files,I finallygot>> >> it>> >> to what I thought was a good running condition & left it with them.>> >> Well,since I didn't know what other problems might surface while I wasn'tthere,&>> >> not>> >> wanting to take any chances,the next day I downloaded the trial version ofAcronis>> >> 11>> >> their machine & used the disk cloning operation & when it rebooted, this>> >> time,there>> >> were no problems with anything .>> >> I had Acronis Home 10 on my machine & I can vouch that it's a great backup>> >> program(&>> >> highly recommended here),but never used it for anything else till then. I endedup>> >> buying Acronis 11 for my own machine & installing my copy of Acronis 10 ontheirs.>> >> Give it a try-I think that you'll have better success with Acronis True Imageover>> >> the Data Lifeguard Tools.>> >>>> >> ~Gary>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >> "Marty" <[email protected]> wrote in message>> >> >> > Yes, I tried Safe Mode. Same results.>> >> >>> >> > Need to say this is an HDD that I cloned using WD's "Data Lifeguard Tools",>> >> > which reported no problem in the process.>> >> >>> >> > "Ron Badour" wrote:>> >> >>> >> >> Did you try to boot in safe mode or from the last known good configuration?>> >> >> If not, try tapping the F8 key when the boot sequence begins.>> >> >>>> >> >> -->> >> >> Regards>> >> >>>> >> >> Ron Badour>> >> >> MS MVP 1997 - 2008>> >> >>>> >> >>>> >> >> "Marty" <[email protected]> wrote in message>> >> >> >> >> > OS=XP-Sp2. Boot proceeds no farther than the screen where "Windows is>> >> >> > starting up" usually appears. That screen appears, but that statement>> >> >> > doesn't. The HDD appears to be trying to do something, but nothing>> >> >> > happens.>> >> >> > Suggestions and\or directions will be appreciated.>> >> >>>> >> >>>> >> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>>>>>>

G

Gary Brandenburg

I don't know what happened with my last reply but it wasn't compressed like that when
I sent it.
It should have read like this:

Google is your friend:

http://tinyurl.com/6xf9gz

According to this:

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/471866-c-system-volume-information-2.html

this is a file that you should not remove;
<You can safely delete anything EXCEPT the "MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase" file
andthe "tracking.log" file.>

Also take a look here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2003/11/20/55764.aspx

for more on restorepoints & how to remove them(other than the ways that I previously
told you).

Take a look on down the page on the Google search.

You're not alone.

~Gary

M

Marty

Gary: Sorry for the delay in answering this. 'Twas received after I had
retired last night. The AVG blog is specific to me since I use AVG Free 7.5
and AVG Anti-Spyware. I haven't tried the solution yet, either with that or
with Acronis. I'll let you know what happens when I have done them. Thanks
for your help.

M

Marty

Gary: Acronis did the job as advertised. Takes it a long time to set up, but
then it speeds through the process much faster than "Data Lifeguard Tools."
AVG Anti-Spyware and AVG Anti-Virus both scan the SVI folder on the cloned
drive without a problem; but on the source drive, they still hang up there. I
think I'll do a clone from the clone and see if that will solve the problem.
Thanks again for your help.

G

Gary Brandenburg

Great, Marty! I knew you would like it.You're very welcome.

That's a good idea to clone the cloned HDD since it's not hanging on that particular
file with that drive.
Is there any way to put that file in your "Excluded Files" (to scan)?

~Gary

M

Marty

Gary: Cloning the clone didn't change the fact A.S. and A.V. hang up on the
original drive. However, I executed one of the procedures described on the
AVG Forum blog in the link you gave me; viz., disable system restore, boot in
safe mode, delete "tracking.log" file, boot in regular mode and enable System
Restore. Scans work!!! As for "Excluded Files", I don't find that option in
either AVG Anti-Spyware or AVG Free Anti-Virus. Am I missing something?

G

Gary Brandenburg

I'm not familiar with AVG Antivirus,Marty-I use Avast & in its settings,there's an
option to exclude certain files.
I have it set to exclude the scanning of my KBuninstall files(there's a lot of them)
to cut down on the scan time.

You'll have to open the program,as if you were going to run a scan,& check to see if
AVG has that option.

I'm glad that you got that tracking.log thing sorted out & thank you for posting the
methods for doing so.
This will,also help any others on here that may run into the same problem.

Also,it probably wouldn't hurt to run a defrag, since you removed all of your restore
points,(they tend to take up a lot of disk space),which is now *empty* space on your
HDD.

~Gary

M

Marty

Gary: I went back to the AVG programs and, though there's no "Excluded Files"
as such, there is a way to exclude scanning certain folders and file
extensions. Thanks for urging me to do that.

Ask a Question