Boot from SATA HDs? (865PE chipsets)

R

Ronald Rey

I was wondering if other makes of motherboards with non-RAID 865PE chipsets support a
"booting" SATA HD(to WinXP)? Especially if there is also a non-booting PATA HD in the
system on one of the standard IDE channels?

Would this be a BIOS issue or a limitation of the 865PE chipset (non-RAID)?

My board's support website has a statement in the FAQ section that says the DFI PS83-BL
rev.A does not support a "booting" SATA HD ........ That note was dated back in May 2003.
Since then however, they have released 4 BIOS updates for improving lots of other good
stuff, but based on my test last night, it looks like I'll have to wait still longer for a
BIOS update that gives me the ability to boot from a SATA HD (assuming the 865PE chipset,
etc supports that feature). The SATA I bought yesterday works fine as a logical non-booting
HD but will not boot if cloned from my current PATA booting drive (using Ghost 2003 in a
direct Disk-to-Disk cloning).

I need to start pushing DFI's tech support for another BIOS update depending on what
feedback I get here.

Thanks everybody ....... RR

J

JH

My IS7 definitely does... there is a bios setting to set the order the
drives will attempt to boot, and there one cas set any of the SATA or PATA
drives as first boot drive.
Are you sure this is not available to you in your bios? Possibly an bios
update?

Ask a Question