Boot Disk

Reaction score
Hey,

My mate's laptop is knackered, doesn't boot into windows etc, he's got loads of MP3s in a folder he wants to get off.

Any idea on the best way to do this? I thought if i could connect my external hard drive and copy them off, but how do I go about doing that if it won't boot up? Is there a way you can boot into safe mode at all?

Bodhi

Reaction score
Hi,

Yeah you can try Safe Mode,

Before the Boot Screen. When you power on your PC on keep hiting F8, it will then give you some options of what you wan to do.

Safe Mode with Networking

Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Safe Mode

Etc etc

I usually select Safe Mode with Networking

Once your in Safe Mode, see if you can plug in your external HDD and get off any data that you want. (sometimes Safe Mode doesn't pick up PnP devices such as USB - not sure though) :p

Reaction score
Aye Safe mode sometimes will not give you access to certain drives/devices due to the driver installation upon boot up

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Have you thought about booting from a live linux distro CD and accessing/saving from there?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, either an external caddy for the 2.5" disk ( a useful thing to have) or burn a live Linux Distro and load data to a memory stick or similar.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....398443&cguid=f55a52b511e0a0aad3908fe0ffe79016

I got one of these for such an emergancy.

happywave.gif

Ask a Question