Bookie: book manager software

Helium

There was an announcement in the rec.collecting.books NG of this software.
Haven't tried it but thought that it might be of interest to members of
this NG. regards, He2

From the homepage (http://www.win32.or.id/bookie/):

Bookie is a small and free personal book manager software.
The interface itself is simple, and will be kept simple.

No installation needed in order to run this software.

What you can do with bookie:

Manage book
Manage book's category
Manage book's publisher
Search book by ISBN, title, author, category, publisher
Filter/sort book based on category/publisher

System requirement
OS: Windows 2000, XP, 2003
PC with 233 MHz Intel-compatible processor, 32 MB of memory, 1 M of disk space
Mouse or compatible pointing device
Standard keyboard

* Remove "-XXX" and "pi." before replying by email. *

The Six Million Dollar Man

Helium said:
From the homepage (http://www.win32.or.id/bookie/):

Bookie is a small and free personal book manager software.
The interface itself is simple, and will be kept simple.

LOL! I thought this was a program for keeping track of gambling bets. I
never expected a bookie to be a list of library books.

Susan Bugher

Helium said:
There was an announcement in the rec.collecting.books NG of this software.
Haven't tried it but thought that it might be of interest to members of
this NG. regards, He2

hmm. . . apparently that's the one and only usenet post that's ever
been made by "Win32 Orphan". . .
From the homepage (http://www.win32.or.id/bookie/):

Bookie is a small and free personal book manager software.
The interface itself is simple, and will be kept simple.

Temporary Freeware? some of the signs are there. . .
There's only one web page. . . one program. . .
It's by an unknown (per Google) company: © 2006 win32.or.id
No information about the author. . .

I downloaded the User Manual
http://www.win32.or.id/bookie/file/UserManual.zip
unzips to a CHM (help) file. . .
still no information about the author. . .

After reading what this app says it can do IMO there are better choices
(included some all-purpose apps). If anyone wants to do a feature
comparison some of the specialized apps that have been mentioned in ACF
are listed here:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_ORGANIZERS.php#1.10Organizer:Books

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Jeff Needle

From the homepage (http://www.win32.or.id/bookie/):

Bookie is a small and free personal book manager software.
The interface itself is simple, and will be kept simple.

No installation needed in order to run this software.

It's a little weird. First, there's a field in the database called
"paperback." You have to download the help file to know this, to the
author, means "number of pages." And there's no place to indicate the
binding, number of copies, or the value of the book. These are real
drawbacks.

I've sent an e-mail to the author. The current version is 0.9, so
perhaps we'll see something at some point. It has some potential.
Thanks for pointing us to this.

Susan Bugher

Jeff said:
Helium wrote:
It's a little weird. First, there's a field in the database called
"paperback." You have to download the help file to know this, to the
author, means "number of pages." And there's no place to indicate the
binding, number of copies, or the value of the book. These are real
drawbacks.

The easy way to get an "improved version" - you use dbEdit and roll your
own. ;)

Program: dbEdit
Author: (Paul Lutus )
Ware: Requestware (unsupported)
http://www.arachnoid.com/
http://www.arachnoid.com/dbedit/index.html
version 3.4 (511 KB) (10/31/2001)
http://www.arachnoid.com/dbedit/dbedit.exe

For heavy duty lifting try Homebase (or a spreadsheet):

Program: Abebooks Homebase
Author: Abebooks Inc. (Advanced Book Exchange (ABE))
Ware: (Freeware)
http://www.abebooks.com/
http://www.abebooks.com/docs/homebase/main.shtml
HomeBase v 2.3
http://www.abebooks.com/software/HomeBase/HomeBase23EN.EXE
9155 KB

Don't be alarmed by "free download" - it *is* realio trulio Freeware. :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Helium

http://www.arachnoid.com/dbedit/dbedit.exe - haven't tried it.

For heavy duty lifting try Homebase (or a spreadsheet):
http://www.abebooks.com/software/HomeBase/HomeBase23EN.EXE
9155 KB
- an extremely large program; I prefer smaller apps

I prefer to "roll my own." I created a db for my books using dbworx
and I'm satisfied with the result. I don't need all the "bells and
whistles" of HomeBase.
dbworx - http://www.plworx-software.com/
regards, He2
* Remove "-XXX" and "pi." before replying by email. *

Susan Bugher

Helium said:
Susan Bugher wrote:

- haven't tried it.
- an extremely large program; I prefer smaller apps

I wouldn't call that extremely large (given what it can do). It's the
program MOST booksellers use (free is good). BTW - ABE keeps *promising*
a new version. . . might happen real soon now. . . ;)
I prefer to "roll my own." I created a db for my books using dbworx
and I'm satisfied with the result. I don't need all the "bells and
whistles" of HomeBase.

Me neither - so I use a spreadsheet. :)

I vas yoost thinking (always a bad sign). . .

If people wanted to create template files (Calendar/diary, book
inventory, household inventory etc. etc. etc.) for some of our favorite
all-purpose Freeware apps (Treepad, dbEdit, etc. etc. etc.) there's
plenty of room for them on the PWH site. Vat you think?

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Helium

Susan said:
I vas yoost thinking (always a bad sign). . .

If people wanted to create template files (Calendar/diary, book
inventory, household inventory etc. etc. etc.) for some of our favorite
all-purpose Freeware apps (Treepad, dbEdit, etc. etc. etc.) there's
plenty of room for them on the PWH site. Vat you think?
Template files would be nice to have; it isn't necessary to
reinvent the wheel every time one creates a new db/inventory. etc.
Much, much easier to get use someone elses template and, if necessary,
make appropriate changes to it to meet your own needs.
(I noticed that Suneido, another db, has template files on its
webpages for people to use. Probably true for many other apps.)
Some problems: would you need permission from the program's
author to post template files to pricelessware's pages? OTOH,
the author might want to post a link to pricelessware for templates
specific to his/her program. Still, it would mean a lot of work would
be needed to pose these questions to the authors, get appropriate per-
missions, and then post templates on pricelessware. Would it be necessary
for someone to scan all templates prior to posting them on the PWH pages for
bad code i.e. code that would/ could cause system shutdowns, malware
infections, etc. Call me paranoid but I would want to make sure that all
code was free of malware. (and a template is code.) regards, He2

Susan Bugher

Helium said:
Template files would be nice to have; it isn't necessary to
reinvent the wheel every time one creates a new db/inventory. etc.

My very thought. :) And it isn't necessary to create/use a special
purpose app for every task.
[...]

hmmm. . . I was thinking of templates that aren't code. For instance a
dbEdit template for book software (or whatever) would be a
comma-separated (.csv) file - a Treepad template for a calendar (or
whatever) would be a text file (with an .hjt extension) (last time I
looked there was one of those on the Treepad site).

AFAIK there would be no need to get an author's permission for such
files (as you said, the author might like to know they existed). We
certainly would want to ensure there was no malware. I think the group
could do that fairly easily - author uploads the file to YouSendIt or
creates a torrent file - ACF participants download and test - I DL the
file too and upload it to the web site if all is okay. Anyway, just
something to think about. We can kick the idea around a bit if others in
the group are interested.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Jeff Needle

Susan said:
The easy way to get an "improved version" - you use dbEdit and roll your
own. ;)

Thanks for the leads -- and I received this morning a nice note from the
Bookie programmer, who thinks he'll incorporate these things into the
next version.

David

[...]

The template you create would, as I understand it, would be your
copyright work unless you built it as a derivative of a previous
template. If you start from scratch then it is your work.

The only control the program author has is that his program must be
used to activate the template. He cannot disallow the use of a
template just because someone else wrote it because that would stop
people from using his program which is not what he would desire,

Scanning would be an excellent idea but could become time-consuming
unless some automated scan could be designed. I don't think you're
paranoid. There are plenty of idiots out there who would consider such
actions as funny/desirable/etc.

Marten Kemp

Jeff said:
Thanks for the leads -- and I received this morning a nice note from the
Bookie programmer, who thinks he'll incorporate these things into the
next version.

Wow. Now *that's* what usenet's really for.

--
-- Marten Kemp
(Fix name and ISP to reply)

Susan Bugher

Thanks for the leads -- and I received this morning a nice note from the
Bookie programmer, who thinks he'll incorporate these things into the
next version.

That's good to hear. Programming skills are not the only thing that's
needed to write a good book inventory program. The programmer needs to
have some knowledge of book cataloging practices and book related
terminology. FYI (you might want to pass this info along). . .

Book related Glossaries

http://www.abaa.org/html/collectors/glossary.html
http://www.bibliomania.net/Glossary.html
http://dogbert.abebooks.com/docs/HelpCentral/Glossary/sellerIndex.shtml
http://www.alibris.com/glossary/condition.cfm
http://staff.library.mun.ca/staff/toolbox/
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/don/don.html
http://www.wilsey.net/glossary.html
http://www.ioba.org/terms.html

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Helium

Susan said:
hmmm. . . I was thinking of templates that aren't code. For instance a
dbEdit template for book software (or whatever) would be a
comma-separated (.csv) file - a Treepad template for a calendar (or
whatever) would be a text file (with an .hjt extension) (last time I
looked there was one of those on the Treepad site).

AFAIK there would be no need to get an author's permission for such
files (as you said, the author might like to know they existed). We
certainly would want to ensure there was no malware. I think the group
could do that fairly easily - author uploads the file to YouSendIt or
creates a torrent file - ACF participants download and test - I DL the
file too and upload it to the web site if all is okay. Anyway, just
something to think about. We can kick the idea around a bit if others in
the group are interested.
Susan, If you want an an extremely simple template for book collections
let me know and I'll gladly upload it with a brief textfile to PWH.
(the text file explains some of my choices - field sizes, why I don't
have some fields found in most db software for book collections, my
peculiar quirks concerning the fields I decided to use, etc.)
The template is for a dbWorx database (.csv). regards, He2.
p.s. what is YouSendIt?

Helium said:
Susan, If you want an an extremely simple template for book collections
let me know and I'll gladly upload it with a brief textfile to PWH.
(the text file explains some of my choices - field sizes, why I don't
have some fields found in most db software for book collections, my
peculiar quirks concerning the fields I decided to use, etc.)
The template is for a dbWorx database (.csv). regards, He2.

Okay, let's give it a try. :)
p.s. what is YouSendIt?

http://www.yousendit.com/
It's a convenient way to send/get files -> send the file to yourself and
post the download URL here in ACF.

Please zip the two files together before uploading to YouSendIt. I'll
download the file and upload it to the PWH site.

I'm trying to figure things out as I write this post. . . We need a way
for people to find your template file and decide whether or not they
want to download it. so. . .

I've just created a new page in the ACF wiki:
http://acfwiki.pbwiki.com/UsefulTemplates
and shown the link on the main page:
http://acfwiki.pbwiki.com/FrontPage

The description for your template might read something like "an
extremely simple dbWorx template for book collections" etc. etc. - with
a link to the download.

I'll upload your file to the FTP directory. That means the ACF download
link would be:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/"YourFileName"

Please post the description when you post the YouSendIt link then add
the description to the wiki (if you prefer to have me add it for you
I'll be happy to do that.)

I *think* this procedure will work - have I missed anything?

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Helium

Susan said:
Okay, let's give it a try. :)

[...]

no. You've covered everything.

Susan, I'll zip both files and send them to PWH as per your in-
structions by next next Tuesday, 2006-02-21. I have to rewrite the text
file explaining my decisions on what fields to include, field size,
etc. (remember, this db was created for my personal use and is not
a professional db e.g. used by book dealers and their ilk).
BTW, the plworx website (http://www.plworx-software.com)
has a free viewer for dbworx databases (dbvuworx.zip). Haven't
used it though. regards, He2
p.s. the dbworx databases are csv (comma)delimited.

Helium said:
Susan, I'll zip both files and send them to PWH as per your in-
structions by next next Tuesday, 2006-02-21. I have to rewrite the text
file explaining my decisions on what fields to include, field size,
etc. (remember, this db was created for my personal use and is not
a professional db e.g. used by book dealers and their ilk).

I'll be interested to see what you have. ISTM there are three main
groups - with rather different needs/requirements;

1. booksellers
2. book collectors
3. people who just want to create a *simple* list of the books they own.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Sietse Fliege