Boiler Cover Recommendations

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do any of you guys use boiler insurance/cover for your heating and hot water? I've been with British Gas homecare for a quite a few years now, but I just can't justify paying the price they want for full cover anymore - so I've cancelled it today.

I'll likely just get it serviced yearly and pay for any breakdowns as needed, but I thought I'd check to see if anyone has any recommendations for a reasonable price maintenance contract. There are reasonably long waiting times for good plumbers and heating engineers in my area, so a service plan with BG was quite appealing.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I have never used insurance for any of our household items and reckon that I've saved quite a lot of money over the years. Items come with a one year guarantee and I feel that if things have been OK for a year then the likelihood of major problems in the next few years is slim (but not impossible). I'm lucky that I have a couple of excellent people available to fix things without ripping me off so I'm happy to pay for things when they do go wrong.

That's my take on it but I know quite a few folk who swear by insurance. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Cheers @nivrip. When I tried independent heating engineers and plumbers a few years back, they were so unreliable (so much demand and so few available in my area), so I switched away to BG who were pretty responsive. I think I'm going to go back to trying the independent ones and see if I can just get some good local recommendations, now that I know more people in the area.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
We have had a contract with BG for many years. The main reason for sticking with them all this time, is purely down to their reliability. (Certainly not their prices!)

We have thought of switching, but as you'll know, BG usually respond to breakdowns at at any time of the year, and within 24 hours or so. We're just not sure if anyone around here, would be able to offer the same level of reliability.

Reaction score
We went direct to the manufacturer who offered us a maintenance contract for £17 per month which includes call out, parts and labour, and an annual service. www.worcester-bosch.co.uk worth every penny as it's had about 6 call outs in the last 3 years.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That sounds like a good deal - I'll likely be replacing my boiler in the coming years, and probably with a Worcester Bosch!

Ask a Question