Blue LED's

Reaction score
I've changed my floppy drive LED to blue with no problems, but anyone done it with a CD/DVD?

I dont mine taking a chance messing up a £5 floppy drive but my CD/RW & CD/DVD? I'd like to be a bit surer.:crazy:

Reaction score
your best bet here is to have a chat with Cheese from Bit-Tech - if you look about his site the articles cover most of the mods you would probably want to tackle - or not for the more squemish of you.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
OsKool:

It'd be really hard to mess up any of your CDROM drives completely just by changing the LED. If you get it the wrong way round it won't do any damage, it just won't work.

Did you have to take the old LED in your floppy drive out of a PCB or was it a push fit?

I've got blue LED's in my keyboards and Main cases, no probs, I love them Blue LED's :D Haven't tried a CDROM drive yet though.

Reaction score
Yeah, I just cut the green one off & soldered a blue one on.

I wanted to try & keep the blue light theme :)

Attachments

• picture 174.1.jpg
    picture 174.1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,265

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
OMG! That is GREAT :D

What is in there? I was going to get one of those Coolermaster cases, they look so sleek and elegant! :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Now, that's nice :)

If it's possible, it's always best to remove the old LED from the PCB completely then slot the new one in. The old solder joints can be undone with a 'solder sucker' a suction device that looks a little like a big hypodermic or some de-solder braid. The braid is put on the solder joint, iron applied, and the braid absorbs the old solder.

The danger with soldering a new LED to the old LED 'legs' is that if you apply too much heat, the old legs may lose their solder and they may 'float' in the old PCB 'hole' meaning they won't make contact.

But, whatever, it worked, so all power to you :D

Reaction score
Ian:

Thx, I'll show u when I work out how & where to upload pics so I can do the IMG thing :)

p.s I like the script prompts, v.cool :D

Reaction score
floppybootstomp:

the old legs may lose their solder and they may 'float' in the old PCB 'hole'
thats what happen so I replaced them, more luck than skill. Gonna buy a de-solder thing for next time, Thx ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, I use those solder suckers too - about £3 online and they are great when you need to remove a big splodge of solder... my old medod was to scrape it on to something else ;)

Nice pic again OsKool :D I wish my case was that neat inside too ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Wow, OsKool, that's really neat :) What do I spot in there? Rounded cables, a blue orb, vid card ram sinks and a Silverado.

And nery a spot of dust! :D Excellent.

What CPU are you cooling with the Silverado? Is it doing a good job? I have one of those on a Duron 750 @ 850 and at 100% CPU usage I get around 45-47C. Have one 80mm exhaust fan at the rear of the case and that's it.

I wasn't too impressed with it to tell the truth but it is quiet.

Reaction score
Yeah, the blue orb is on a Hercules Geforce 3 TI200 overclocked to nearly a TI500,
1 x 512mb DDR ram,
2 x Maxtor 80GB IDE ATA/133 7200rpm running in raid,
audigy card,
6D-102 1200W PMPO 5.1 Speaker Surround System (for Sale)
black Teac floppy drive with blue LED ;)
black Pioneer DVD-106S Slot Feed
black Plextor 40/12/40 CD/RW (new not in pic)
black IBM keyboard with blue glowstring (haven't yet got the power to it)
ABIT KR7A-RAID MB
I've got a XP 1800 but messed up trying to unlock it. (so not overclocked as planned) runs with Silverado & Artic Silver II @ 50 C
& mini vacuum ;)

Ask a Question