Windows XP Bizarre issues

Reaction score
Hello

I am having a number of particularly bizarre issues with my computer. I recently upgraded to a new pc, specifications as follows - Pentium 4, 3.00 GHz, 1GB RAM, XP Pro, Wireless connection (although have that disabled and am connecting to the internet via an ethernet cable), running Norton 360 and XSoft Spy (http://support.paretologic.com/) for spyware protection.

Problems are:

1. The computer turns itself on! I've checked the LAN configurations in the BIOS and they're all set to off. I've changed the SSID and WEP Key in the router configuration and power down the router when the pc is off and it STILL boots itself up - so it's not a result of being remotely accessed. I run regular scans,updates (both windows and anti virus), not sure what else I can do to secure the computer. Haven't a clue why it's turning itself on. I've disabled with wireless configuration as well since I'm not using it.

2. Sometimes, not always, when I am accessing password secure sites, I get a message saying 'this site has had its security certificate revoked and is unsafe to continue' - or words to that effect. I know this is some sort of hoax or bug because some of these sites don't even HAVE security certificates to revoke! If I delete the cache, cookies and reboot, I can generally override the issue.

3. When I run the antispyware on boot up, I am constandly removing the same spyware each time I run a check. I'm wondering if there is some way of permanently removing these pests.

Many thanks in advance.

Atheana

Reaction score
Re:

You got a real good one there!If like you say;you gotta have a bug.It's somehow tied into your operating system.It reminds me of one of those critters you get with free music and share*ear.And outright removing it can crash your operating system.There is probably a spot in your os startup boot configuration where you can shut this off by removing a check mark.Then try removing it with a good antispyware.I have never been to fond of norton.If you come to the point where you feel you just want to delete this program;don't.Simply move it into a file folder.Be prepared to copy the file back if your computer won't boot.
Just wanna say,never heard of a computer turning on unless someone is doing something to turn it on.

Ask a Question