Biodiesel

Reaction score
Anyone running their cars on Biodiesel?

I filled up with 100% Biodiesel today made from waste cooking oil

£1.06 per litre + £35 per year membership (though the price goes up to £1.12 per litre on Monday)

If my car had the other fuel pump that the used in my model of car, i'd just whack straight veg oil in.

Still - should work out cheaper in the long run!

Edit: Just worked out that the 41 litres cost me £43.46. If i was to purchase 41 litres at the average price of £1.259 it would cost £51.61 meaning from my 3/4 of a tank today i have saved £8.15. If i was to go by the £1.299 that the Texaco across the road charges, I would have paid £53.26 - equalling a saving of £9.80. I only have to fill up about 4 times to break even with the membership costs, and then i'm into saving money.

How green am I!

Last edited:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
I filled up with 100% Biodiesel today made from waste cooking oil
Did you have to adapt your car in any way before you could use it?

Does it damage the engine in the long term?

Reaction score
nivrip said:
Did you have to adapt your car in any way before you could use it?

Does it damage the engine in the long term?

Nope - just need to change the fuel filter after 500 miles (£8 so no biggie)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I have to laugh, it ain't new, and I think you is being ripped off by the price.

Most cooking oil will do ... just watch out for the Customs Men, you don't pay "fuel tax duty" on supermarket cooking oil.

;)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
So I guess if a full tank saves you £10.86 on average (using your figures for 3/4 tank above) and you can run 500 miles on that tank - you will save 2.86 after filter costs.......its not alot but better than nothing :)

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I have to laugh, it ain't new, and I think you is being ripped off by the price.

Most cooking oil will do ... just watch out for the Customs Men, you don't pay "fuel tax duty" on supermarket cooking oil.

;)

Unfortunately my car wont run straight veg oil - it has a Lucas Pump. If it had a Bosch pump, it would run veg oil. The Lucas system will fail due to the way it's lubricated.

the BD100 (Biodiesel 100%) price includes the fuel duty so is all taxed and legitimate.

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
So I guess if a full tank saves you £10.86 on average (using your figures for 3/4 tank above) and you can run 500 miles on that tank - you will save 2.86 after filter costs.......its not alot but better than nothing :)

I only have the change the filter once after 500 miles, as after the first tank the BD will have shifted a lot of rubbish into the filter - after that, it's back to the usual servicing period - i usually change mine every 5,000 miles.

So I will actually save the full amount per tank after changing the filter once :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Good for you Chris . I ran my Galaxy on a 20% mix of virgin veg oil and ordinardy diesel last summer and it ran ok .
Due to changes in the tax system by the gov you can legally use 2,500 litres of un taxed alternative fuels in your vehical in a year .
If Chris is using just one tankfull of fuel a week he will save around £500 a year , two tankfuls and hes saving £1000 a year etc etc . Now thats not chump change .

So who else wants to be a big greenie ??

happywave.gif

Reaction score
I believe the allowance is only if you are producing the fuel yourself - the Biodiesel I use is produced by a company called Golden Fuels in Oxford, and they have to pay duty on it hence why the price isn't HUGELY lower. I think it's 33.3p per litre tax.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I guess this means you're now officially a member of the Frying Squad :p

Sorreeee :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
I believe the allowance is only if you are producing the fuel yourself - the Biodiesel I use is produced by a company called Golden Fuels in Oxford, and they have to pay duty on it hence why the price isn't HUGELY lower. I think it's 33.3p per litre tax.

Taken from HM Revenue & Customs site ,

Exempt producers/users

If you have produced or used less than 2,500 litres of:

• any biofuel
  • any other fuel substitute or additive
within the last 12 months, and expect to produce or use less than 2,500 litres in the next 12 months, you are an exempt producer and do not need to register with us and account for duty.

Production includes the manufacture or processing of road fuel, and the setting aside of any product that has not been charged with duty – such as vegetable oil - with the intention of using it as road fuel.

Please note that producers of 2,500 litres or more are not entitled to an allowance of 2,500 litres before they start accounting for duty.

This shows that it is users and producers that are exempt from tax below the 2,500 litre usage threshold .

happywave.gif

Reaction score
My old 109 Land Rover runs on the following:
Unleaded, leaded, diesel, red diesel(in an emergency) & aviation gas.
Have tried it on bio-diesel and it needs the odd tweak to run.
Think my next car may well be duel fuel or battery powered!!

Fuel is getting much to costly for my usual 350 mile weekly round trips to London!!
May well considor cutting back or finding a cheaper fuel source.

Ask a Question