Best Registry Cleaner for vista

I use the AceLogix registry cleaner at www.acelogix.com which has a trial
version for 30 days. I have been using it since the day Vista came out (they
were ready for Vista) without any trouble.

Continuing the car analogy, using a registry cleaner is like scheduling
regular maintenance on your car. It has to be done to keep the car tuned.

Using a cleaner keeps the registry small and compact. This cleaner has other
options you might like besides cleaning the registry. It has a backup option
so you can undo any changes, and it has changeable parameters for cleaning.

Let us know if you try it or if you find another you like better.

Hacker Mom

Peter Foldes

My suggestion is not to use any reg cleaner. They are all snake oil fixes. Cleaning the registry will make no difference in your computers performance as many believe. They are dangerous and not needed. Even if you have one that made backups , what will you do if your computer will not boot if it removes a reg line that is needed.How .will you then will go to your backup and put them back?? How??
If you do not know your registry and if you do not know what it is removing then do NOT touch the registry. It is playing Russian Roulette. The registry is a very sensitive part of your system and one wrong move and your system is cooked

NoStop

Charlie42 said:
CCleaner works with Vista. www.ccleaner.com.
Ubuntu works even better. Just don't setup dual boot. Let Ubuntu have the
whole drive and you will never again need to worry about cleaning a
registry.

http://ubuntu.com

Cheers.
Charlie42

--

The "Wow" starts now. http://tinyurl.com/269m7q

"Vista is finally secure from hacking. No one is going to 'hack' the product
activation and try and steal the o/s. Anyone smart enough to do so ... is
also smart enough not to want to bother." philo

Tim

NOPE, i'd say CCleaner.
They just rebuilt it from the ground up in C++

Really nice Beta Version

Have to wait for an update to the uninstaller though. . .

GREAT PROGRAM!!!!!!!

Ubuntu is a toy os

wouldn't recommend it

At all

Unless you like dwarves, gnomes, and wind up keys

It doesn't even have a battery like the rest of the big boys XD

suckme@don'tmail.com

Bruce Chambers

hahnkathio said:
Continuing the car analogy, using a registry cleaner is like scheduling
regular maintenance on your car. It has to be done to keep the car tuned.

Utter nonsense. Using a registry cleaner does nothing but risk
rendering the computer unusable. It does no good, whatsoever.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

Swingman

"Bruce Chambers" wrote in message
Utter nonsense. Using a registry cleaner does nothing but risk rendering
the computer unusable. It does no good, whatsoever.

And blanket statements are most always "utter nonsense" themselves.

Try removing a Roxio, McAfee, or any similar viral like application from a
box and you'll quickly change your tune as to the usefulness of a well
written "registry cleaner" as a _tool_ in knowledgeable hands.

Adam Albright

"Bruce Chambers" wrote in message

And blanket statements are most always "utter nonsense" themselves.

Try removing a Roxio, McAfee, or any similar viral like application from a
box and you'll quickly change your tune as to the usefulness of a well
written "registry cleaner" as a _tool_ in knowledgeable hands.

The point is few fanboys or MVPs are "knowledgeable" and that becomes
painfully obvious after reading the typical slop they write.

Bruce Chambers

Swingman said:
"Bruce Chambers" wrote in message
And blanket statements are most always "utter nonsense" themselves.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. This is a case of the latter.

Try removing a Roxio, McAfee, or any similar viral like application from a
box and you'll quickly change your tune as to the usefulness of a well
written "registry cleaner" as a _tool_ in knowledgeable hands.

Not at all. One need only spend a few minutes with Regedit's built-in
"Find" capability, or use a simple registry *scanner*. A "cleaner" is
absolutely unnecessary. But why even bother? Orphaned registry entries
almost never cause problems, unless you're reinstalling the very
application you're so eager to be rid of, never cause any sort of
performance hit, and occupy a very miniscule amount of hard drive
storage space.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

Swingman

"Bruce Chambers"wrote in message
A "cleaner" is absolutely unnecessary. But why even bother? Orphaned
registry entries almost never cause problems, unless you're reinstalling
the very application you're so eager to be rid of, never cause any sort of
performance hit, and occupy a very miniscule amount of hard drive storage
space.

Party line ... and plagiarized at that. You know better than that, or you
should.

Bruce Chambers

Swingman said:
"Bruce Chambers"wrote in message

Party line ...

No party line. Simply the results of years' worth of first-hand
observation while working as an IT professional. Please produce
verifiablee independent evidence to the contrary, if you can. Yo(u'd be
the first to ever do so.)

(Nor is restating od paraphrasing common knowledge "plagiarism.")

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

Swingman

No party line. Simply the results of years' worth of first-hand
observation while working as an IT professional.

Well excuse me, exalted one. One certainly would not have guessed from such
a one-size-fits-all, most UNprofessional, blanket statment.
Please produce verifiablee independent evidence to the contrary, if you
can. Yo(u'd be the first to ever do so.)
"verfiablee"??

(Nor is restating od paraphrasing common knowledge "plagiarism.")

Trouble with that keyboard, or too much sauce?

LOL ... How about actually reading my original post, then use your own
words, instead of google'd phrases, to bolster your weak argument .. but
wait till you sleep it off.

Bruce Chambers

Swingman said:
Well excuse me, exalted one. One certainly would not have guessed from such
a one-size-fits-all, most UNprofessional, blanket statment.

Trouble with that keyboard, or too much sauce?

LOL ... How about actually reading my original post, then use your own
words, instead of google'd phrases, to bolster your weak argument .. but
wait till you sleep it off.

Despite pointing out my typos (all the while hypocritically making some
of your own), I see that you still utterly failed to offer any sort of
evidence to bolster your claims. I wonder why that might be, hmmmmm?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

Steve Easton said:
As someone who does a little programming on the side, and one who writes using windows
APIs,
let me make a comment on registry cleaners.
Yes they will find "currently unused registry entries."
Occasionally they will actually correct a registry related problem that will prevent
installation of a program.

However, keep in mind that there are lot of static registry entries that are in place to
ensure
backwards compatibility with older programs, especially when it comes to using API calls
to ordinals ( routines in DLL files )
Example, if I reference, in my application, a dll procedure from a dll that was included
with Windows 98 and that
dll has been upgraded / replaced by a newer dll in newer windows versions, the entries in
the registry will automatically point my program to the newest version of the DLL on the
machine in which the application is installed.

So, if the "base" entry has been removed from the registry, guess what, my backwards
compatible app fails to run.

So as was stated earlier in the thread, use "ANY" registry cleaner at your own risk, and
when the app you try to install
That's "supposed" to be compatible with your new windows version fails to run, don't blame
the author, restore your registry.

And yep I'm an MVP for a different technology and YEP I will include it in my sig.

--

Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Neal Van Eck

CleanMyPC is the one I found to work on Vista64, but don't try and compact
registry--kills sidebar. Many others were real problems on Vista64.

Try Registry Mechanic or RegSupreme Pro buy remember the cautions. I've used
both over the years and they work very well. RegSupreme Pro has an Aggressive
mode but avoid that unless you want to spend a lot of time reading every
entry.
Sandy

If I can add my word of caution
I ran www.ccleaner.com. in Vista Home Premium. It did so much damage that I
had to reinstall everything.
I have an additional language,Russian, installed and use mtreg.reg to
automatically look up translations at multitran. Well after running ccleaner,
garbled Russian words were sent to multitran.

Gerhard

Martin

Hello
Have only just read this as I was hunting for info on Registry Cleaners and
Drive cleaners. Most seem to advise caution when using registry cleaners,
and now I can see why. Thanks. I am now wondering about Windows Live One Care
Safety Scanner (free) - which I use from time to time. This uses a registry
scanner doesn't it, so is it safe to use???? Also do you think drive cleaners
are necessary to remove junk?