Best Procedure for Complete Clean Setup

Carol

I have upgraded os's several times and now have a dual
boot Win2K prof / Win2003 Server. The original disk
format is no longer appropriate (You can't redistribute
space to the boot partition apparently). So I want to
know the best way to accomplish a re-format and re-install
of these same os's. Should I make a bootable floppy? If
so how do I ensure my dvd drive will be enabled? Or do I
need to create bootable CD's with the operating systems?
I'm afraid this process has evolved considerably since I
was last involved with sort sort of thing. Can someone
walk me through it?

Steven Liu [MSFT]

Hi Carol,

We are unable to resize the partition size in Windows.

The Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 installation disks can boot the computer.
We can boot with the Windows 2000 installation CD to install the Windows
2000 and then, we can install the Windows 2003.

We can create the partition during the installation.

Thanks for using Microsoft News Group!

Sincerely,

Steven Liu

Microsoft Online Partner Support

MCSE 2000

This posting is provided ¡°as is¡± with no warranties and confers no rights.
| From: "Carol" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Carol" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Best Procedure for Complete Clean Setup
| Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 09:39:48 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade
|
| I have upgraded os's several times and now have a dual
| boot Win2K prof / Win2003 Server. The original disk
| format is no longer appropriate (You can't redistribute
| space to the boot partition apparently). So I want to
| know the best way to accomplish a re-format and re-install
| of these same os's. Should I make a bootable floppy? If
| so how do I ensure my dvd drive will be enabled? Or do I
| need to create bootable CD's with the operating systems?
| I'm afraid this process has evolved considerably since I
| was last involved with sort sort of thing. Can someone
| walk me through it?

Carol

Thanks for your prompt response! Let me take the question
one step further to clarify my understanding.
The install program will give me the option to do a
complete re-partition & re-format of my hard drive as a
preliminary step to the actual installation?
Since, I'll be using the MSDN disc's (not the original
disc that came with my machine) and they are DVD (not CD),
then I need only direct the machine bios to bootup from my
DVD drive with the appropriate Windows OS disc in the
drive? Even if there are several other OS's on the same
DVD? Or do I need to download the MSDN CD image of the
desired OS, create a CD with it and bootup with my CD
drive?

Thanks again for your support,
Carol
We are unable to resize the partition size in Windows.

The Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 installation disks can boot the computer.
We can boot with the Windows 2000 installation CD to install the Windows
2000 and then, we can install the Windows 2003.

We can create the partition during the installation.

Thanks for using Microsoft News Group!

Sincerely,

Steven Liu

Microsoft Online Partner Support

MCSE 2000

This posting is provided ¡°as is¡± with no warranties and confers no rights.
| From: "Carol" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Carol" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Best Procedure for Complete Clean Setup
| Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 09:39:48 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade
|
| I have upgraded os's several times and now have a dual
| boot Win2K prof / Win2003 Server. The original disk
| format is no longer appropriate (You can't redistribute
| space to the boot partition apparently). So I want to
| know the best way to accomplish a re-format and re- install
| of these same os's. Should I make a bootable floppy? If
| so how do I ensure my dvd drive will be enabled? Or do
| need to create bootable CD's with the operating systems?
| I'm afraid this process has evolved considerably since

Steven Liu [MSFT]

Hi Carol,

I think you need to download the CD image to create a bootable Windows XP
installation CD. Then, start the computer with the CD. During the
installation, you will get the option to partition and format the hard disk.

Thanks for using Microsoft News Group!

Sincerely,

Steven Liu

Microsoft Online Partner Support

MCSE 2000

This posting is provided ¡°as is¡± with no warranties and confers no rights.
| From: "Carol" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Carol" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Best Procedure for Complete Clean Setup
| Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 13:21:17 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade
|
| Thanks for your prompt response! Let me take the question
| one step further to clarify my understanding.
| The install program will give me the option to do a
| complete re-partition & re-format of my hard drive as a
| preliminary step to the actual installation?
| Since, I'll be using the MSDN disc's (not the original
| disc that came with my machine) and they are DVD (not CD),
| then I need only direct the machine bios to bootup from my
| DVD drive with the appropriate Windows OS disc in the
| drive? Even if there are several other OS's on the same
| DVD? Or do I need to download the MSDN CD image of the
| desired OS, create a CD with it and bootup with my CD
| drive?
| Thanks again for your support,
| Carol

| >|
| >| I have upgraded os's several times and now have a dual
| >| boot Win2K prof / Win2003 Server. The original disk
| >| format is no longer appropriate (You can't redistribute
| >| space to the boot partition apparently). So I want to
| >| know the best way to accomplish a re-format and re-
| install
| >| of these same os's. Should I make a bootable floppy?
| If
| >| so how do I ensure my dvd drive will be enabled? Or do
| >| need to create bootable CD's with the operating
| systems?
| >| I'm afraid this process has evolved considerably since
| >| was last involved with sort sort of thing. Can someone
| >| walk me through it?
| >|