Benchmarks and Comparisons

Reaction score
Sorry i dont have any benchmarking software
(Apart from a black marker pen to write on benches with.. and thats called vandalisum so i wont)

Ill take Quads advice here.. sorry chris... i doubt you would have been impressed by the results anyway:)

Reaction score
Well, I aint got SANDRA installed (yet) but my 3D mark03 score is a very poor 1938.

Running:
XP2500+ @1573MHz (waiting on faster memory in the post)
512 PC2100 memory
30GB primary HD
120GB Maxtor secondary
Fujitsu DVD-ROM primary on 2nd IDE
Toshiba 4xDVD-R secondary on 2nd IDE
Windows XP Pro
Gainward FX5700LE graphics
Asus A7V8X-X

Think thats the important stuff. I`m just up, not awake yet.
Any ideas how I can boost my 3DMark score? My graphics card OCing tool is in the amber for both my core and memory clock settings (296, 456 MHz resp.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
3D mark 5404 - thats a bit low is it not ? - no OC'in on GPU or CPU

2.2ghz
2x512mb ddr pc3200
80gb harddrive
MSI mobo

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
GONNA-GET-U said:
3D mark 5404 - thats a bit low is it not ? - no OC'in on GPU or CPU

2.2ghz
2x512mb ddr pc3200
80gb harddrive
MSI mobo
Much the same as me mate :( I don't gettit either :confused:

Reaction score
Isnt the 3Dmark score heavily dependent on the graphics card? That what i`m blaming my poor score on, but I think my next upgrade will prob be either Athlon 64, or whatever AMD develops for PCI express. Seeing as this nonsense means replacing the Mobo, Proc, graphics and RAM, i`d better start saving now.....

Reaction score
I htought your overall 3d score was to do with your speeds and capacities bieing high and EVEN, e.g just becasue you have an awesome graphices card, doesnt mean you have a high score, you need an awesome CPU etc. to get the high of high scores...?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Do you guys buy a PC just to get better scores? There is no need to compete with anyone.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Do you guys buy a PC just to get better scores? There is no need to compete with anyone.
I buy a PC and upgrade it to play the high end games with at least some of the lovelies turned on. Games like Doom 3, Far Cry, Halo etc etc would look cack on a low spec machine. If you have ever played a game like Far Cry on a low spec machine you know what i mean, it takes the fun out of the game.

Reaction score
Thermaltke, True, but an Athlon XP proc coupled with an X800 or FX6800 can compete with the very latest Pentium 4`s or Athlon 64`s, at much better value for money. The new Athlons and Pentiums help, yes, but its the graphics card that boosts the score the most. The top 2 Athlon XP`s listed on futuremark have 512 memory.
Maybe someone with the components/ money/ time should put together the latest graphics card with an ancient proc and then an old graphics card with a new proc to see which combo does better.

Quadophile- As far as I see it, Benchmarks are for competition, no other reason. My comp does everything I want it to, usually at a pretty good speed. Yet I think for most people its a nice ego boost to know that their computer is up there with the best. Mine is not.

Reaction score
when i buy a new computer i will always save up and get the best i can - i wont buy the bare minimum that i need to make it work, i will buy things that i know have good reputations and good reviews and i know that because of this i wont be dissapointed when it comes to performance...

I dont care about competing with other people i dont give a monkeys rump if someone has a better computer than me but i want what i have to be futureproof for a while and be a lot better than the previous.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Quads - the benchmarks are just a rough guide to how well your computer can handle certain things.

The real proof, of course, is in the eye of the beholder (cue Metallica :D ) when, for instance, playing Games that need a fairly good specced system. You can just see if things are running well or not.

Tis true there are some nerds out there who get off on such things as 3D Mark scores, but, whatever, if it gives them their jollies, then pity them ;)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Guys,

I can very well understand what you all mean because some years back I did configure the machine for gaming for my son. I also remember that my 3DMark2000 score was the second best with the Matrox G400 card on Madonion site. The only reason was that I had purchased a new machine at that time and it was a very high spec one for those days. Cost me a bit though.

I have been there and done that.

I just want all of you to enjoy your computers and try not to benchmark it on a daily basis.

Have fun and happy gaming!

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I benchmark whenever i've made a hardware change, or updated the drivers to me graphics card. I normally make it loop 3 times, to make the GPU really sweat ;).

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Second best in the Matrox Users Group, don't get me wrong! :D

Chris: once in blue moon is OK, make sure it's not twice in a blue moon :)

Ask a Question