    everyone is running the FE off the server. I want to put a copy onto
    everyones desktop. How do I do this while still haveing the user enter a
    password?

    JenK, Jan 8, 2009

  2. JenK

    Keith Wilby Guest

    "JenK" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am running access 2000 and have secured by db using Access security. I
    >have
    > slit my db into a BE/ FE. The problem I have is that it is running slow.
    > It
    > was brought to my attention that the reason for this is probably because
    > everyone is running the FE off the server. I want to put a copy onto
    > everyones desktop. How do I do this while still haveing the user enter a
    > password?

    Use a batch file to copy the FE to the user's desktop and then open it.
    There's some sample batch file code below my sig. Performance can also be
    enhanced by having a persistent connection between the front and back ends.
    You achieve that by always having a bound form open.

    Keith.
    www.keithwilby.co.uk

    DEL "%temp%\MyLocalFolder\*.*" /Q
    RD "%temp%\MyLocalFolder"
    MKDIR "%temp%\MyLocalFolder"

    DEL "%userprofile%\desktop\MyShortcut.lnk"
    XCOPY "\\MyPath\MyShortcut.lnk" "%userprofile%\desktop"

    XCOPY "\\MyPath\MyDBFile.mdb" "%temp%\MyLocalFolder" /I
    START "MyApp" /MAX "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\MSACCESS.EXE"
    "%temp%\MyLocalFolder\MyDBFile.mdb" /wrkgrp "\\MyPath\MyWorkgroup.mdw"

    Keith Wilby, Jan 8, 2009

  3. JenK

    JenK Guest

    Thanks for the code, I am a little confused on how to use it though. I am not
    sure if this is correct or if I am missing something.
    I would like everyone to run the program from C:\Program Files
    The shortcut will be called Database
    I see you have shortcut.Ink I am not sure on how to get it called .Ink
    My secured.MDW file is saved under L:\BD\AD\secured.mdw

    DEL "%temp%\Program Files\*.*" /Q
    RD "%temp%\Program Files"
    MKDIR "%temp%\Program Files"

    DEL "%userprofile%\desktop\MyShortcut.lnk"
    XCOPY "\\Program Files\MyShortcut.lnk" "%userprofile%\desktop"

    XCOPY "\\Program Files\\Database.mdb" "%temp%\MyLocalFolder" /I
    START "MyApp" /MAX "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE"
    "%temp%\Program Files\Database.mdb" /wrkgrp "\\L:\BD\AD\secured.mdw"

    JenK, Jan 8, 2009
  4. JenK <> wrote:

    >I would like everyone to run the program from C:\Program Files

    Do *NOT* do so. Regular users have read only access to Program Files
    thus they will not be able to copy in the FE or any future updates to
    the FE.

    Instead copy the FE to the users Application Data\Your App Name
    folder.

    BTW the free Auto FE Updater can also do all this as well as creating
    the necessary shortcuts.

    I specifically created the Auto FE Updater utility so that I could
    make changes to the FE MDE as often as I wanted and be quite confident
    that the next time someone went to run the app that it would pull in
    the latest version. For more info on the errors or the Auto FE
    Updater utility see the free Auto FE Updater utility at
    http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/autofe.htm at my website to keep the
    FE on each PC up to date.

    In a Terminal Server or Citrix environment the Auto FE Updater now
    supports creating a directory named after the user on a server. Given
    a choice put the FE on the Citrix server to reduce network traffic and
    to avoid having to load objects over the network which can be somewhat
    sluggish.

    Tony
    --
    Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
    read the entire thread of messages.

    Tony Toews [MVP], Jan 9, 2009
  5. JenK

    JenK Guest

    thank-you for the program. I have used the secured example.ini as my
    reference and it seems to work, it has created a desktop icon but it shows
    the target location as my server target rather that the target on my computer.
    Here is the code as I modified it
    [Settings]
    MainApp=%appdata%\Application Data\Database\
    FileNameToStart=Apollo Database.mdb
    Server=L:\Basic data\Access Databases\DatabaseFE\
    Lockout=No
    LockoutMsg=Sorry, not allowed into the system right now.
    SupportMsg=Please contact Jennifer for support.
    CommandLine=/wrkgrp "L:\Basic data\Access Databases\SECURED.MDW

    ShortCutName=Database
    CreateShortCutOnDesktop=no
    CreateShortCutOnCommonDesktop=Yes

    MDWFile=L:\Basic data\Access Databases\SECURED.MDW
    MDWUser=DBAdmin
    MDWPassword=(Password is encrypted)

    MDWPasswordEncrypted=E72BD4A054DA24

    Am I missing something or is there something I forgot to do, or is this
    exactly how everything is supposed to run?

    JenK, Jan 9, 2009
  6. JenK

    Keith Wilby Guest

    "JenK" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the code, I am a little confused on how to use it though. I am
    > not
    > sure if this is correct or if I am missing something.
    > I would like everyone to run the program from C:\Program Files
    > The shortcut will be called Database
    > I see you have shortcut.Ink I am not sure on how to get it called .Ink
    > My secured.MDW file is saved under L:\BD\AD\secured.mdw

    The code copies the files into the user's profile Temp folder. As Tony
    stated it is likely that this is the only area your users will have write
    permissions to. If your shortcut is called Database then use

    DEL "%userprofile%\desktop\Database.lnk"
    XCOPY "\\MyPath\Database" "%userprofile%\desktop"

    For your workgroup file:

    START "MyApp" /MAX "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\MSACCESS.EXE"
    "%temp%\MyLocalFolder\MyDBFile.mdb" /wrkgrp "L:\BD\AD\secured.mdw"

    Keith.
    www.keithwilby.co.uk

    Keith Wilby, Jan 12, 2009
  7. JenK

    JenK Guest

    Is the program supposed to paste a hard copy onto my computer. All I have it
    seems is a shortcut that is directed at the server file.
    I am also unsure how to get the file to be placed onto all my users desktops
    because I am unable to open the startMDB.exe file on my users computers.
    I think I must have missed a step somewhere.

    JenK, Jan 12, 2009
  8. JenK

    david Guest

    > stated it is likely that this is the only area your users will have write

    A better place for user files like mdb's is

    %userprofile%\myfolder
    or
    %userprofile%\local settings\myfolder
    or
    %userprofile%\application data\myfolder
    or
    %userprofile%\local settings\application data\myfolder

    (david)

    david, Jan 13, 2009
  9. JenK

    Keith Wilby Guest

    "david" <> wrote in message
    >> stated it is likely that this is the only area your users will have write

    > A better place for user files like mdb's is
    >
    > %userprofile%\myfolder
    > or
    > %userprofile%\local settings\myfolder
    > or
    > %userprofile%\application data\myfolder
    > or
    > %userprofile%\local settings\application data\myfolder

    I'm not sure what difference it makes, if any, but I use the Temp folder
    because it doesn't count towards the users' profile size in our corporate
    policy.

    Keith.

    Keith Wilby, Jan 13, 2009
  10. JenK

    david Guest

    In which case, "local settings" will probably also work.

    Like Temp, "local settings" is not copied back to the server.

    Which does mean that, like temp, you loose it if anything happens to your
    local computer.

    If you actually redirect your profile to the server, instead of
    backing it up to the server, then anything under "%userprofile%
    will be on the server, and the user temp folder will also be on
    the server. To get around that problem, you can redirect the
    user temp folder to a local drive, but then you have to either
    have a shared temp folder, or re-create the whole user-profile
    system to secure the user temp folder.

    It's just a preference, but I prefer to put temp files in the temp
    folder, and local settings in the local settings folder.

    david, Jan 15, 2009
  11. JenK <> wrote:

    >Is the program supposed to paste a hard copy onto my computer.

    Yes. The contents of the folder
    L:\Basic data\Access Databases\DatabaseFE\
    should reside in
    C:\Documents and Settings\<your network userid>\Application
    Data\Application Data\Database\
    At least that's how I read your INI file. Note that you likely don't
    need the Application Data a second time.

    >All I have it
    >seems is a shortcut that is directed at the server file.

    What's in the target of the shortcut?

    >I am also unsure how to get the file to be placed onto all my users desktops
    >because I am unable to open the startMDB.exe file on my users computers.

    The user only needs to click on a shortcut which resides on the file
    server which then starts the entire process.

    Tony

    Tony Toews [MVP], Jan 16, 2009
  12. JenK

    Keith Wilby Guest

    "david" <> wrote in message
    > In which case, "local settings" will probably also work.
    >
    > Like Temp, "local settings" is not copied back to the server.
    >
    > Which does mean that, like temp, you loose it if anything happens to your
    > local computer.

    That's not an issue for my users because the FE is copied to the C drive
    every time it's opened, regardless of whether a copy already exists there.

    Keith.

    Keith Wilby, Jan 16, 2009