Be Careful with SP4 Update

G

I just installed this W2K Pro OS after loosing the old OS. The old OS had all of the servic
packs installed and the browser worked thanks to Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware 6
However, neither Spybot or Ad-aware can rescue the new OS from the W2K SP4 updat
presently available. Either some one managed to corrupt the download or M___
managed to make a bigger problem than the one before this. It's bad enough that the
never corrected the IE6 package updates but now SP4 is making the browser rescu
impossible. The only way I could make the browser work was to remove SP 4.

G

George Hester

I believe Microsoft did rescue the IE update fiasco of 2003. The only trouble is if you had installed these "updates" I really know of no way to undo the damage. Other then removing the IE version. But of course if a Service Pack for Windows 2000 was installed over one of those updated IE versions (IE 5.5; IE 6) then whoop that's that.

The issue is not Service Pack 4. It does have issues but a crashing shell (what you may experience as a Microsoft Internet Explorer generated Exception) is not one of them. And yes if you install a Windows 2000 Service Pack over an updated browser say good-bye to being able to fix that browser if it's needed. The only alternative is to reinstall the operating system.

Ask a Question