Battlefield 2142 not running in vista

hey when i play i get a total overload of mem usage maybe this is my part to
solve
but wy the hell do i get kicked out by punkbuster dose vista support this
software?
and when i try to play lineage 2 gameguard ****s up :(

Dale M. White

Did you by chance search the newsgroup before asking ? I can see this
question is going to pop-up like 1 million times over the next 6 months.

Could be a few things. You might need to run BF2142 as Administraor. You
might need to run it in XP:SP2 compatibility mode. You might have to open up
some ports (or just temp disable) Vista's Firewall. You can also go to
www.evenbalances.com and download their PB update util and manually update
all the PB support games on your system, before starting the games.

Might try turning off the User Access Control (UAC) if the above doesn't
help.

Just for the record, I played 4 hours of BF2142 last night, so it should
work. Also note, under Vista I see about 65% memory load when playing BF2142
and I have 2GB of ram.

"battlefield 2142 in vista" <battlefield 2142 in
news:[email protected]...

Davide

I confirm that BF2142 playes fine under vista ultimate 32bit. Just tonight
gave me the memory error for the first time, and there were UAC active for
the first time i've installed the system. Maybe UAC is the problem. Ohhh, i
run BF2142 in Administration mode.

I can't get 2142 to run at all. I don't even make it as far as the splash
screen. I've tried in Admin mode, and in compatibility mode. Even went so
far as doing a manual uninstall and reinstalling 2142, but nothing.

Dale \Mad_Murdock\ White

I guess the next questions are, are you using a nVidia card, Do you have the
Vista release of the Video card drivers for your card versus the drivers
that came with vista. I was able to get my 6800GT to work with BF2 during
the RC phase. I would expect you would at least be able to get the game to
load

When you say do a manual un-install, does that mean you upgraded from XP,
versus a fresh install of Vista ?

When you say, won't run at all, what errors do you get ? Or does BF2142
never do anything ?

I am using a Nvidia 6800 with the vista drivers. I also did the upgrade from
XP to vista. BF2142 wouldn't run or do anything, so I followed EA's
directions to do a complete manual "uninstall" for the program, then
re-installed the program.

I do not get any error messages or dialogue boxes. The program simply
doesn't do anything, other than start up EA Link.

Dale \Mad_Murdock\ White

I had issues with Sandra Home 2007 doing that. Though I didn't do an
upgrade, I did a new install.
I assume you applied the 1.10 patch, maybe for giggles, you could install
just BF2142 and see if it runs before applying the 1.10 patch.

Also, instead of using the desktop icon, you look in game explorer and run
it or go directly to the install folder on your hard drive and run it.

You might also consider cleaning up your registry once you un-install the
game. If BF2142 is the only game you have installed or the only EA game, I
would delete the whole EA key, else you can drill down to the BF2142 key and
delete whatever you see there
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2142, then
reboot

When you re-install, try re-installing to a different directory or even hard
drive, for good measure.

Hope this helps or at least get you a little farther

well, here's EA's official response.... Somehow it doesn't suprise me....

"Hello ,

I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you are going through
believe me I know how you feel I'm a gamer myself. Unfortunately since the
Windows Vista is not supported by the game. We cannot guarantee the games
performance and stability using this operating system.

You can always return the game back to our warranty dept. in order to
receive a brand new sealed copy of the game. You could then try to bring back
this sealed copy of the game to the store where you purchased it, for you to
get a refund. Most stores accept this kind of arrangement. So should you
decide to return the game please refer to the original documentation that
came with your product, or click on the following link for replacement
instructions:

http://ea.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/cci/ea/warranty_information.php

Should you require further assistance about this or any Electronic Arts
games in the future please visit our website and review our extensive Self
Help knowledgebase http://support.ea.com

Electronics Arts Technical Support"

Dale- Thanks for the suggestions.... I did try what you mentioned about
with and without the patches, and by running from the folder vs. the shortcut
as well as cleaning out the registry keys as you mentioned. Nothing worked.
I also, for giggles, changed the nvidia drivers back to the msoft ones, then
progressed through the nvidia releases, up to and including the beta drivers
from Jan 31.

Dale M. White

Well, patch 1.20 for BF2142 is in public beta, you could give that a try or
wait and see if the final release does anything for you.
Any chance you could borrow a ATI card from someone, just to see if it's a
Nvidia bug. Any chance you can format and re-install from scratch ? I know
that's a bit extreme, just for a game, but maybe other games will run into
that problem.

Sorry about your misfortunes, I have a hammer if you need to borrow it.

I may take you up on that hammer offer!

Dale M. White said:
Well, patch 1.20 for BF2142 is in public beta, you could give that a try or
wait and see if the final release does anything for you.
Any chance you could borrow a ATI card from someone, just to see if it's a
Nvidia bug. Any chance you can format and re-install from scratch ? I know
that's a bit extreme, just for a game, but maybe other games will run into
that problem.

Sorry about your misfortunes, I have a hammer if you need to borrow it.

I have this problem as well. I run an X1900X ATI card. When i first upgraded,
the game ran, but i had punkbuster issues. Those were resolved using the
administrator option. After that everything was great, untill a few days ago.
I turned the computer on, and tried to load tha game, but nothing happened.
I've tried every fix i can find, so if anything works for you, please let me
know. If i find a solution that works, i'll be sure to mention it.

Well i just installed Battlefield 2142 on vista ultimate 32 and the only
problem I've run into so far is that it has unlocked all of the unlocks on
me every thing else seems to be running fine andi don't think its a Nvidia
bug because im running a n7800 gtx .

Dale \Mad_Murdock\ White

AS local install can't unlock all the unlocks for you in on-line play.
You're install just so happened to be on all unlock weekend. By Tuesday
morning, you'll be locked back to your prior unlocks. Though it did help me
get my 10 shotgun kills, so I'm not complaining.

"All Unlocks Weekend: Starting Friday the 16th and lasting until midnight
PST on Monday the 19th every soldier will have access to all the unlocks. Be
sure to try out all the equipment on the battlefield this weekend! "

http://planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/

Good news! I dont know which of all the things that i tried did it, but it
now runs again. I have it set to run as administrator in windows xp sp2
compatability mode, i have renamed the movies folder so it is not read, and i
disabled the UAC (User account control). Somewhere in all this, the game
worked again. Hope this helps.

Dale White

I'm almost willing to bet it's the movies folders. I've seen a few times in
the past where those bink movies have causes issues. Maybe if you install
RAD tools the problem will go away.

Glad you got it going ! Hope you caught part of the all unlocks weekend

I agree that its probably the movies folder. I didnt work right away after
that, it needed a restart, and i changed the UAC at the same time, but i've
seen alot of people on the forums who have had to remove that folder to make
a few different games run. My conclusions for Vista and 2142: Make sure you
run as administrator to avoid punkbuster issues, rename or remove the movies
folder, and if that all fails, turn off UAC. Thanks to you and everyone else
for the advise. And i did catch the last few hours, and boy, that was a good
time. I'm not sure i've been shot so many times in an hour since i first
startyed playing. :)

Dale \Mad_Murdock\ White

Just a side note on that. I have Vista64 installed and I just downloaded the
FarCry 64bit version. I had ran the 32bit verison and all was well, but the
64bit version game me the black screen and a whole lot of nothing.

Like most games, Far Cy starts with all the, designer and publisher videos,
I went to the movies folder and instead of using BIK files they use AVIs in
the 64bit version. I tried playing those movies with Mediaplayer and got a
"couldn't download codec error". I'm guessing the game was having that
problem and just stopping, instead of skipping.

Renamed the folder and off I went.

More news. Battlefield 2142 has just stopped working. Again. I have the exact
same problem,except everything i did to fix it the first time is already
done. I have no hair left, and i'm out of ideas. Anything anyone can suggest
would be great. Right now i hear xp calling my name.