Batch/Utility for intelligent MOVE in XP when source and target are same name ???????????????

LurkerBoy

When I MOVE files in XP, the only default of MOVE is to interrupt the
transfer if the source file has the same name as the target file in
the target directory. That's a pain if you move ten thousand files. I
do have programs to rename and to detect duplicate files but I want
something down and dirty to just quickly move the stuff my way.

Need a utility to batch move source files to a target archive
directory. If the source file has the same name and same size as the
target, I'd like to delete the source file. If the source file has
the same name as the target but a different size, I'd like to rename
the source file, like file001.txt --> file001!.txt

Anyone know of any freeware or FS software that excels at this?

If anyone just knew a decent batch file that would work, I'd run that.
I'm no expert.

Hey, thanks for reading this.

REM

(e-mail address removed) wrote:
When I MOVE files in XP, the only default of MOVE is to interrupt the
transfer if the source file has the same name as the target file in
the target directory. That's a pain if you move ten thousand files. I
do have programs to rename and to detect duplicate files but I want
something down and dirty to just quickly move the stuff my way.
Need a utility to batch move source files to a target archive
directory. If the source file has the same name and same size as the
target, I'd like to delete the source file. If the source file has
the same name as the target but a different size, I'd like to rename
the source file, like file001.txt --> file001!.txt
Anyone know of any freeware or FS software that excels at this?
If anyone just knew a decent batch file that would work, I'd run that.
I'm no expert.

The /Y switch will suppress prompting, but I see that you need a bit
more than just that.

If you do not find a utility here that does what you want pop in to
alt.msdos.batch and again describe what you want and your OS. There
are several regulars who will write you a sophisticated batch file and
show you exactly how it works.

There really should be such a utility, I just don't know of it.

REM

Bjorn Simonsen <[email protected]> wrote:
REM wrote in <[email protected]>:
When I MOVE files in XP [...]
pop in to alt.msdos.batch and again describe what you want and your OS.
<news:alt.msdos.batch.nt> for XP/2k/NT.
(<news:alt.msdos.batch> for Win9x/Me and DOS)

Thanks Bjorn. I have always used the latter (9x) OS group. I knew
there was another group, but I wasn't sure if it is as active and
productive as this one.

Is XP batch different from 9x if XP uses Fat32?

I'm completely new at XP. I just got it installed to do assignments
with. I went with NTFS, rather than FAT32, but I noticed there was a
choice in the installation. I'll check the .nt group.

Bjorn Simonsen

REM wrote in said:
Thanks Bjorn. I have always used the latter (9x) OS group. I knew
there was another group, but I wasn't sure if it is as active and
productive as this one.

It is. There is also
Is XP batch different from 9x if XP uses Fat32?

Has nothing to do with the file system. Or put differently,
the XP/2k/NT commandline *interface* works the same no matter
if running on FAT32 or NTFS file system. As for DOS/9x vs XP/2k/NT,
much of the same (you will not be totally lost if you know some DOS),
but also many differences - more advanced options ...much to be
learned for those who want to dig into it.
I'm completely new at XP [...]

Tip: Timo Salmi offers a handy collection of links to several batch
and commandline related web sites (both DOS/9x and NT/XP/2k) at
<http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/http2.html#batch>.

He is also author of the two batch file
how-to collections below:

For MS-DOS/Win9x:
<ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tsbat.zip>
tsbat.zip Useful MS-DOS batch files and tricks, T.Salmi

For Win NT/2k/XP:
<ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tscmd.zip>
tscmd.zip Useful NT/2000/XP script tricks and tips, T.Salmi

All the best
Bjorn Simonsen

Andreas Kaestner

Need a utility to batch move source files to a target archive
directory. If the source file has the same name and same size as the
target, I'd like to delete the source file. If the source file has
the same name as the target but a different size, I'd like to rename
the source file, like file001.txt --> file001!.txt

XXCOPY from www.xxcopy.com will fit your needs.

omega

(e-mail address removed):
When I MOVE files in XP, the only default of MOVE is to interrupt the
transfer if the source file has the same name as the target file in
the target directory. That's a pain if you move ten thousand files. I
do have programs to rename and to detect duplicate files but I want
something down and dirty to just quickly move the stuff my way.

Need a utility to batch move source files to a target archive
directory. If the source file has the same name and same size as the
target, I'd like to delete the source file. If the source file has
the same name as the target but a different size, I'd like to rename
the source file, like file001.txt --> file001!.txt

If you didn't need commandline, then you might check whether Lexacorp's
Merge Directories fits your needs. It's straightforward and simple, no
rtfm.

| Merge Directories
|
| A utility to combine two directories into one. All files in the Origin
| directory will be moved to the Destination directory. If a file with
| the same name, date/time and size exists in the destination directory,
| the file being moved will be renamed with a numeric suffix. A text file
| can also be created in the destination directory detailing exactly what
| files were moved/renamed

http://www.lexacorp.com.pg/miscsoft.html
http://www.lexacorp.com.pg/soft/MergeDir.exe (20k)

It can be set up on your sendto menu, or your explorer context menu.
Such that you select a folder in explorer, and choose MergeDir as
your sendto or openwith choice. Then MergeDir will launch with that
folder's path inserted as the first of your two directory fields.

One thing I should mention about the prog. It doesn't recurse. So if it's
the case that you want to process a nested path, a lot of subdirectories,
it'd not be your best choice for that situation.

omega

Andreas Kaestner said:
XXCOPY from www.xxcopy.com will fit your needs.

XXCopy's "directory flattening" features are really interesting, and I think
that's the starting point for this.

http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy16.htm

What I don't know is how you would tell it to copy stricly non-dupes when
doing the converge. While I don't know how, all my wagers would still be
that it can be done. Rule of Thumb I've learnt is that there exists nothing
involving file manipulation that XXCopy cannot do.

On a general note, I wanted to share some good news. There's now a compiled
help file available.

http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy.chm

omega

omega said:
XXCopy's "directory flattening" features are really interesting, and I think
that's the starting point for this.

http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy16.htm

What I don't know is how you would tell it to copy stricly non-dupes when
doing the converge.

Well, now I feel a bit dense. Since one way to get it done would be a bat
with more than one step. The first step does xxcopy to eliminate dupes,
using switches to direct xxcopy to remove dupes from SRC or DST, without
copying files. Then it's the second step that would utilize the directory
flattening thing.

http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy12.htm

Bjorn Simonsen

omega wrote in said:

Don't know if this will solve OPs problem, but here is another
one in the category of tiny nice-to-have utilities :)

ThirdDir
from <http://rvas.webzdarma.cz/>

<quote>
An unusual directory-synchronizer - the different files are
copied to third directory. It is very useful to extract e.g. new
or edited photos from a huge directory tree on fixed disk to
temporary folder, then add them to archive CD (note - the
original files are compared against the CD). Version 1.3.1, size
22kB.
</quote>

Just tried it. Files in dir-1 not in dir-2 copied to dir-3
(output dir). Nice.

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen