    exist.temp.bat call temp). On my XP SP2, I get "Extended Error 183".
    Seems to still execute properly. What is this error message and how do
    I get rid of it? Any advice is appreciated...Dennis

    Dennis Allen, Jun 2, 2005

  2. Dennis Allen wrote:

    > Hi. I have a batch file that calls another batch file (ex: if
    > exist.temp.bat call temp). On my XP SP2, I get "Extended Error 183".
    > Seems to still execute properly. What is this error message and how
    > do I get rid of it? Any advice is appreciated...Dennis

    Hi

    From error.h Win32 API
    ---------------------------------------
    #define ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS 183

    And from this Google newsgroup archive search
    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q="Extended+Error+183"&start=0&scoring=d
    it is very often caused by trying to create a folder that
    already exists.

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\), Jun 3, 2005

  3. Dennis Allen

    Dennis Allen Guest

    Thanks for the reply. I tracked down the problem. Here's my two sample
    batch files, install.bat and temp.bat:

    @echo off
    rem Install.bat
    if %1.=={}{}{}. goto begin
    command /e:2048 /c %0 {}{}{}
    goto quit

    :begin
    call temp.bat
    :quit

    @echo off
    rem temp.bat
    SET PRG=c:\spiral\job
    IF NOT EXIST c:\spiral\*.* MD c:\spiral
    IF NOT EXIST c:\spiral\job\*.* MD c:\spiral\job

    Install.bat uses command /e to make sure there is enough space for
    needed environment variables (the actual install.bat uses a lot of
    them). Unfortunately, I think command /e is also making IF NOT EXIST
    skip a beat, causing MD to execute regardless.

    Is this a bug? Is there a way to code around it? Or is there another
    way to ensure enough space for environment variables?

    Dennis Allen, Jun 4, 2005