    b) the tek.lab.local domain to make responsible for its domain.

    thank you for your help
    tim

    Tim Moor, Mar 4, 2006

  2. In news:440a0145$,
    Tim Moor <> stated, which I commented on below:
    > dear dns gurus,
    > just for understanding: in my lab i have setup a small w2k3 domain
    > (lab.local). the one and only dc hosts the dns for this domain. now i
    > have added a subdomain (tek.lab.local).
    >
    > what do i have to do if i want:
    >
    > a) the dns of the lab.local domain to be responsible for the
    > tek.lab.local domain.
    > b) the tek.lab.local domain to make responsible for its domain.
    >
    > thank you for your help
    > tim

    INstall DNS on the tek.lab.local domain controller. Then create the zone on
    that machine, and point ONLY to itself for DNS. Then delegate the child
    zone, "tek.lab.local" from the parent zone's machine to the child domain
    controller name and IP address. The in the child domain controller's DNS
    properties, setup a forwarder to the parent. Then set a forwarder from the
    parent to the ISP's.

    255248 - HOW TO Create a Child Domain in Active Directory and Delegate the
    DNS Namespace to the Child Domain (2000 or 2003):
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=255248

    --
    Ace

    confers no rights.

    Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
    Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
    or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
    news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
    Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
    to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
    watched threads or subject.

    It's easy:
    How to Configure OEx for Internet News
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    Microsoft Certified Trainer

    Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
    Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations

    "Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

    The only thing in life is change. Anything more is a blackhole consuming
    unnecessary energy.

    Ace Fekay [MVP], Mar 6, 2006