Backup tape problem!

Reaction score
We are a small charity using a backup tape system which is currently not functioning.

The Quantum DAT 72 tape drive is installed in an Optiplex 745. Previously we have been running backup tapes fine, but now all of a sudden an error message comes up when we try to run the backup - "no free media". Also, when the Optiplex is booting up there is an error message "Drive 4 not found: serial ATA, SATA-4".

I have attempted various things none of which have worked including use new, blank tapes and turn off and on the Drive 4 in setup. It's been suggested to me that it might be an incompatibility with an automatic update the computer has received (its Windows XP) but I don't know how to check this. Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Lynette

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Not an 'item' we would normally see around our forums. You may get better help from the manufacturers direct.

My first thoughts were ... the heads need cleaning, however, I read that theTapeShield provides an environmentally-sealed head-to-tape interface that reduces airborne contaminants, increases data integrity and enhances drive and media life ... so, that tends to knock that idea out the window, but I would not rule it out altogether.

How is this 'drive' connected to the PC ... Internal using SATA/EIDE or via USB ? This info will help determine if indeed an "update" may be an issue, unlikely in my book, but possible.

More info on the PC would help also. ;)

I notice there is a 3year limited warranty ... you have to register to claim ... more info can be found HERE

oh, welcome to the forums. :)

:user:

Reaction score
Sorry, just thought you looked like a helpful site! Plus, I've tried the manufacturers and they just say it's not to do with their hardware. I've also tried cleaning. It's onlya 6 month old computer and tape drive (connected internally using SATA). The computer spec is below- the tape drive was installed after purchase by someone who no longer works here.

Dell Optiplex 745DT, Pentium D 2.8Ghz, 1GB Memory, 160GB SATA Drive, 48x DVD-ROM/CD-RW, Floppy Drive, Windows XP Professional.

Thanks!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Windows XP is not seeing the drive, is it?

Can you see the drive in the Bios? (hit del or F2 on startup to enter bios).

If so, then go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management and see if the drive shows up in there.

If you can't see it anywhere, try opening the case and gently but firmly pushing home all cables connected to the drive at each end.

If none of that works it's possible you have a failed drive.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Sorry, just thought you looked like a helpful site!
No problem, I was merely warning you that we may not be able to help much, I'll try and point you in the right direction ... that 'hardware' is not the sort of item we see ... many ordinary folks here just use CD/DVDs. :D

Don't you just love manufacturers who will always blame something else rather than "help" you with their product. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I omitted to ask what 'backup' software are you using ?

There are several things you can try ... the same as we would do for any device.

Try uninstalling & reinstalling the software.

Try removing the device as below;

1. Right-click on My Computer and select Properties.
2. Select the Hardware tab.
3. Select Device Manager.
4. Locate the tape drive in the list.
5. Right-click on the tape drive (not Tape Devices) and select Uninstall.
6. Select OK and restart the system.

This should force XP to reinstall the device.

I also found this ...
http://www.quantum.com/ServiceandSu...nloads/DAT72DrivesSATA/Index.aspx#Diagnostics

http://downloads.quantum.com/Certance/manuals/misc/DAT 72 SATA PIO_UDMA for web1.doc

http://downloads.quantum.com/Certance/manuals/userguides/DAT72_User_Guide_81-81396-01_A01_EN.pdf

... it is worth reading the .doc file

Now, getting to the error message ... Drive 4 not found: serial ATA, SATA-4 ... not very helpful, they never are, but I cannot "see" if the Dell motherboard has 4 SATA ports or if the Tape drive is using a 4port SATA card. The error seems to be pointing to an error on port 4

If you are not adverse to opening the case to have a look, it may help me, especially if you can take a picture. :D

The annoying thing is, both your PC & Tape drive a well within warranty and 'help' should be freely available from either manufacturer.

:user:

muckshifter

Reaction score
... try opening the case and gently but firmly pushing home all cables connected to the drive at each end.
Good point ... both FloppyBS & me have had SATA cable "fall off" or became loose.

I 'fixed' mine with a hot-glue gun. :D

:thumb:

Reaction score
Hey hey, success (and no hot glue guns neccessary!) And all it took was the courage to open the case and push in the cables a bit. They didn't look particularly unattached but I guess it worked because I managed to run the backup tape this morning.

Thanks for your help - if it happens again I'll try the other suggestions as well. And I'll have a look at those websites you pointed out - always good to know more about what we've got for the future. :D

Bonza!

muckshifter

Reaction score
Great to hear ... I have now put "the fix" at the top of my list. ;)

:D

Ask a Question