Backup or System image.

tdc

Reaction score
Hi
I have been backing up my desktop and laptop without any problems.
I have been reading about SYSTEM IMAGE.
I understand the difference between the two options.
Is either one (or both) a better option for backing up.
Is one quicker at getting bthe job done.
I backup to an external HD 1.5 TB.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Backup up data is just that; creating a copy of your files, pictures, music, etc. Pulling an entire system image means you are basically taking everything on your hard drive; Operating System, Drivers, Registry, Files, Everything; and storing it in a single file to restore it all later. In my opinion it's not necessary to use a full system image for backup purposes. While it may not be a bad idea to have a full image to go to if your computer completely dies, it usually isn't needed. I do similar to what you are currently doing, I assume, by backing up my important stuff (photos, files, etc) to an external hard drive. I don't think there is an automated way to pull a full image of your computer on a schedule (although if I'm wrong, I'm open to correction) and you can't pull or push an image to a computer while you are working on it. A file backup can run in the background while you do other things, or on a schedule (usually included in the software with an external HDD) to run in the middle of the night on a daily, weekly, or whatever basis. I hope this answers your question!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Backing up a full install of any OS is, in my opinion, a good idea as it can save a lot of time as drivers and software don't have be loaded, configured and updated, for the most part.

If I'm doing a fresh install of any given OS I'll usually get to a point where everything I want is installed, updated and patched then make a backup using Acronis True Image. I've been using Acronis for years now and it hasn't let me down.

It's only drawback is that it won't reinstall a backup image to a RAID 0 setup as at the version I'm using, version 11.

Acronis True Image may be available as a freebie from one of the hard disk manufacturer's websites, I think perhaps Seagate though not sure.

I'm not familiar with 'System Image' so can't comment on that software.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
What is a system image? <---- linky, just in case one thinks that's a title

To me, I'd do a "system image" just after the system has been fully setup. Makes a good starting point for "reinstalls" if needed.

I would then, as already suggest, use something like Acronis, which I recently discovered comes free with my latests hard drive, where incremental backups are easy to implement.

The new backup utilities in Windows 7 are actually pretty impressive and creating an image is possible in all versions.

Just one point, an "image" from 12months ago, IMHO, is gonna be a bit out of date, a full up-to-date "backup" should have all the latest software updates, at least at the point of the backup, so, should be less of a problem when re-installed. :)

with Windows 7, I never bothered with an "image" and my "backups" are uploaded online.

:user:

tdc

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
After what was said I decided to make a system image,
However, I got a warning that my Intenso HD was FAT32 and not NTFS. Don't know what the difference is and not to interested.
I understand that you can convert from FAT32 to NTFS.
If I was to convert would I lose all the info on my external HD.
Also is there some where I can get clear instructions on how to convert if I decide to go ahead.
Thanks.

Ask a Question