    How do I take backup of Windows mail onto an external hard disk or usb drive,
    so that i can deleted the same from computer hard disk. Also I should be able
    to see / acess these backup emails at a later date

    Saikat, Jul 6, 2009

  2. Saikat

    Anton Pegan Guest

    Hi Saikat,

    All Windows Mail emails are stored as separate files in the following
    location:
    C:\Users\[UserID]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Local Folder
    By using the Export function in Windows Mail all of them are save/exported
    as a separate email and double clicking on the . EML file will open the
    message.
    By deleting the emails from Windows Mail they will be also deleted from
    their folders on the hard disk. You can also at any time drag and drop all
    or some of this backed up emails to Windows Mail and read/edit them.

    Before trying any of this, please create a backup of the folder mentiond
    above.

    Kind regards,
    Anton Pegan

    Anton Pegan, Jul 6, 2009

  3. Gary VanderMolen, Jul 7, 2009
  4. Saikat

    GEGE Guest

    If I copy on an external hard disk the entire content of the main directory
    Windows Mail where windows mail store messages etc..., can I use this copy
    as a backup if needed just by copying back all the files to the original
    directory ? Or is a special procedure required to reinitialize or
    synchronize something ?
    Thanks for the info.

    GEGE, Jul 10, 2009
  5. For the most part, yes, that should work. See the detailed procedure here:
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/62560-windows-mail-problems.html
    Scroll down to the section "PROBLEM TWO: How to Backup and Reset
    Windows Mail ".
    Some things are stored in the registry, such as the message rules,
    and blocked and safe senders lists.

    Frankly, it is much simpler to use a free backup program, see
    http://www.staticbackup.com/windows-mail-backup
    http://www.staticbackup.com/downloads.htm

    --
    Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

    Gary VanderMolen, Jul 10, 2009
  6. Saikat

    Jesharelah Guest

    I downloaded the "Free" version, but it offers you nothing. You can look at
    what it could do, but there is no ability to actually use the product. It
    reminds me of the thousands of other programs that claim to be free but are
    only a venue to advertise their product.

    Jesharelah, Jul 29, 2009
  7. Very strange! I used the free version just a few days ago to copy
    Windows Mail data and settings to a new Windows 7 partition.
    Try the non-free version. I believe it has a 20-day free trial period.

    Gary VanderMolen, Jul 29, 2009
  8. Saikat

    boscharun

    Joined: