Backup HD to another HD...

Daniel Rosenzweig

I have two 20 Gig HD... I still have about 35% of the first drive
empty. Is there a decent, inexpensive program where I can backup the
first HD onto the 2nd HD? I may put a swapfile on that drive or I may
eventually start putting things there... so some amount of compression
would be good. I don't need real-time backup...(disk mirroring, which
would hurt performance... I'm using relatively slow IDE drives) but
something where I can set it and forget it...
(automated scheduling) otherwise, I never remember to do it (which is
why I use automated backup software on my PocketPC...) I would want
the software to be able to differential backups, of course, I don't
want to create an entire new image every day (in terms of time - and
most programs stay the same on a day to day basis)...

Any way of protecting the backup drive from viruses? Yah, I have a
viruscanner and firewall on the system... but if something sneaks
through, I don't want it to infect my backup as well!

I have a CD burner, but that would require multiple CDs... No DVD
burner yet...

Windows XP Pro.

Thanks

Rod Speed

I have two 20 Gig HD... I still have about 35% of the
first drive empty. Is there a decent, inexpensive program
where I can backup the first HD onto the 2nd HD?

Included with XP Pro.
I may put a swapfile on that drive or I may
eventually start putting things there... so some amount
of compression would be good. I don't need real-time
backup...(disk mirroring, which would hurt performance...
I'm using relatively slow IDE drives) but something
where I can set it and forget it... (automated scheduling)
otherwise, I never remember to do it (which is why
I use automated backup software on my PocketPC...)
I would want the software to be able to differential backups, of course,
I don't want to create an entire new image every day (in terms of time
- and most programs stay the same on a day to day basis)...
Any way of protecting the backup drive from
viruses? Yah, I have a viruscanner and firewall
on the system... but if something sneaks through,
I don't want it to infect my backup as well!

Incremental backups do that reasonably.
I have a CD burner, but that would require multiple CDs...

You sure if you just backup what cant be restored
with a full clean reinstall of the OS and apps ?

Its generally a good idea to backup that most irreplacable
stuff to more than one CD as well as the other backup that
makes it more convenient to handle the boot drive failure.

Daniel Rosenzweig

Yah - I saw that XP Pro has backup software.... I usually think such
tools which come with the OS are usually not useful enough to use....
but I haven't actually tried it... I think I'll fiddle around now...

Even my 'downloads' directory, (so that I'd have the compressed files
of downloaded software to reinstall) doesn't fit on one CD....
Again, the goal is to be as 'hands off' as possible, so that the
backup can be done regularly... I have enough maintanence to do
already.
Thanks!

Eric Gisin

xxcopy won't backup NTFS properly.

if you have two hard drives you should put a mini install of 2K/XP on the
second drive. you can then use xcopy with the magic flags.

| I use this...
| http://www.xxcopy.com/
| along with the task scheduler and my target, USB connected,
| drive is NTFS with compression enabled.
|
| Jordon
|
| "Daniel Rosenzweig" wrote in message
| > I have two 20 Gig HD... I still have about 35% of the first drive
| > empty. Is there a decent, inexpensive program where I can backup the
| > first HD onto the 2nd HD?

Rod Speed

Yah - I saw that XP Pro has backup software.... I usually think such
tools which come with the OS are usually not useful enough to use....

Thats not true of the NT/2K/XP family of OSs,
the backup included with those is very decent.
but I haven't actually tried it... I think I'll fiddle around now...
Even my 'downloads' directory, (so that I'd have the compressed
files of downloaded software to reinstall) doesn't fit on one CD....

Sure, mine doesnt either. But you dont normally want to back
that up endlessly, just ensure that each file is on more than
one CD and then there isnt any point in backing it up anymore.
Again, the goal is to be as 'hands off' as possible,
so that the backup can be done regularly...
I have enough maintanence to do already.

Sure, but thats what incremental backup is about.

Jordon

xxcopy won't backup NTFS properly.

What doesn't properly get copied, besides open files?
I'm using NTFS on both drives and and it hasn't failed
yet.

Jordon

Eric Gisin

Does it copy security and other attributes, hard links, sparse files, all the
other NTFS stuff?