Backup Copy of Windows XP CD

W

Wayne Smith

Operating System: Windows XP Professional

I have a valid and legal retail copy of Windows XP Professonal, which I am running on my PC, connected I also have a 320GB USB External Hard Drive. On that external hard drive I have copied every piece of software I have from the original installation CD and use these files whenever I need to install or re-install software or components.

To keep my original Windows XP CD in good condition I've packed it away and only use the external hard drive version when I need to, I also made some backup copies of this Windows XP CD by highlighting all the files on the external hard drive, right-clicking them and selecting Send to CD .... so far so good, all the XP installation files copied fine to the blank CD and once it had finished I double-clicked the CD Drive icon and the Windows XP Installation screen appeared, I can then follow the instructions to upgrade my OS if needed.

However, if I then keep that *copied* XP CD in the drive and restart my computer, but changing the BIOS settings to boot from the CD Drive first, it never detects that *copied* version of Windows XP and continues straight on to boot XP as normal. If however I use a piece of software like Nero to copy the original XP Professional CD to a blank CD, when I restart the computer it will boot from that CD and start the Windows XP installation.

Is there any reason why I cannot boot from a copied CD that was burnt using the files on an external hard drive, but I can boot from a copied CD that was burnt using the original Windows XP CD.

This doesn't make sense and I really would like to find a workaround if possible. Obviously I do have the original operating system CD and I can continue to use that for clean installs etc, but out of sheer curiosity I really would like to know why I cannot boot from a CD that was copied from the files on the external hard drive, eventhough those files were originally copied directly from the original XP installtion CD.

Any help, pointers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Wayne

J

JS

I Use AutoStreamer to make a bootable copy of XP.
It's easy to use and for the most part self explanatory.

Auto Streamer Download Site:
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/1092632287/1

Windows SP2 Download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...be-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&DisplayLang=en

How to get a free SP2 CD.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

Create a Slip Stream version of Windows XP
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

JS

I have a valid and legal retail copy of Windows XP Professonal, which I am running on my PC, connected I also have a 320GB USB External Hard Drive. On that external hard drive I have copied every piece of software I have from the original installation CD and use these files whenever I need to install or re-install software or components.

To keep my original Windows XP CD in good condition I've packed it away and only use the external hard drive version when I need to, I also made some backup copies of this Windows XP CD by highlighting all the files on the external hard drive, right-clicking them and selecting Send to CD ... so far so good, all the XP installation files copied fine to the blank CD and once it had finished I double-clicked the CD Drive icon and the Windows XP Installation screen appeared, I can then follow the instructions to upgrade my OS if needed.

However, if I then keep that *copied* XP CD in the drive and restart my computer, but changing the BIOS settings to boot from the CD Drive first, it never detects that *copied* version of Windows XP and continues straight on to boot XP as normal. If however I use a piece of software like Nero to copy the original XP Professional CD to a blank CD, when I restart the computer it will boot from that CD and start the Windows XP installation.

Is there any reason why I cannot boot from a copied CD that was burnt using the files on an external hard drive, but I can boot from a copied CD that was burnt using the original Windows XP CD.

This doesn't make sense and I really would like to find a workaround if possible. Obviously I do have the original operating system CD and I can continue to use that for clean installs etc, but out of sheer curiosity I really would like to know why I cannot boot from a CD that was copied from the files on the external hard drive, eventhough those files were originally copied directly from the original XP installtion CD.

Kind Regards,
Wayne

G

Wayne Smith said:

To keep my original Windows XP CD in good condition I've packed it away and only use the external hard drive version when I need to, I also made some backup copies of this Windows XP CD by highlighting all the files on the external hard drive, right-clicking them and selecting Send to CD .... so far so good, all the XP installation files copied fine to the blank CD and once it had finished I double-clicked the CD Drive icon and the Windows XP Installation screen appeared, I can then follow the instructions to upgrade my OS if needed.

Kind Regards,
Wayne

Yes there are reasons why this isn't working for you. You have to burn a
bootable CD. If you're not, no matter how what you do, it won't boot to the
CD. Both Nero and Roxio can do that. Here is a really good site on how to
burn a SlipStream Disk. Basically that's what you're doing.
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp#ez6

J

John Wunderlich

Is there any reason why I cannot boot from a copied CD that was
burnt using the files on an external hard drive, but I can boot
from a copied CD that was burnt using the original Windows XP CD.

This doesn't make sense and I really would like to find a
workaround if possible. Obviously I do have the original operating
system CD and I can continue to use that for clean installs etc,
but out of sheer curiosity I really would like to know why I
cannot boot from a CD that was copied from the files on the
external hard drive, eventhough those files were originally copied
directly from the original XP installtion CD.

It makes sense.

In order to be bootable, certain files must be placed in precise places
on the boot disk/CD. When you copy just the files off the CD then copy
them back to another CD later, the files end up in different spots on
the disk and it won't boot. When you duplicate the disk using Nero (et
al), everything is copied in the same position on the disk.

If you backup the original CD to a ".iso" file, then it can be
recreated at a later date and will be bootable.

HTH,
John

R

Ricky

This program wiil make iso images of your CD and you can also use the same
program to burn the iso image back to a CD..

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

I have a valid and legal retail copy of Windows XP Professonal, which I am
running on my PC, connected I also have a 320GB USB External Hard Drive. On
that external hard drive I have copied every piece of software I have from
the original installation CD and use these files whenever I need to install
or re-install software or components.

To keep my original Windows XP CD in good condition I've packed it away and
only use the external hard drive version when I need to, I also made some
backup copies of this Windows XP CD by highlighting all the files on the
external hard drive, right-clicking them and selecting Send to CD ... so far
so good, all the XP installation files copied fine to the blank CD and once
it had finished I double-clicked the CD Drive icon and the Windows XP
Installation screen appeared, I can then follow the instructions to upgrade
my OS if needed.

However, if I then keep that *copied* XP CD in the drive and restart my
computer, but changing the BIOS settings to boot from the CD Drive first, it
never detects that *copied* version of Windows XP and continues straight on
to boot XP as normal. If however I use a piece of software like Nero to copy
the original XP Professional CD to a blank CD, when I restart the computer
it will boot from that CD and start the Windows XP installation.

Is there any reason why I cannot boot from a copied CD that was burnt using
the files on an external hard drive, but I can boot from a copied CD that
was burnt using the original Windows XP CD.

This doesn't make sense and I really would like to find a workaround if
possible. Obviously I do have the original operating system CD and I can
continue to use that for clean installs etc, but out of sheer curiosity I
really would like to know why I cannot boot from a CD that was copied from
the files on the external hard drive, eventhough those files were originally
copied directly from the original XP installtion CD.

Kind Regards,
Wayne

W

Wayne Smith

Thanks JS,
I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to post a reply, you've helped me out a lot

Kind Regards,
Wayne

Windows SP2 Download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...be-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&DisplayLang=en

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

JS

To keep my original Windows XP CD in good condition I've packed it away and only use the external hard drive version when I need to, I also made some backup copies of this Windows XP CD by highlighting all the files on the external hard drive, right-clicking them and selecting Send to CD ... so far so good, all the XP installation files copied fine to the blank CD and once it had finished I double-clicked the CD Drive icon and the Windows XP Installation screen appeared, I can then follow the instructions to upgrade my OS if needed.

Kind Regards,
Wayne

W

Wayne Smith

Hi Chris,
You've taught me something new tonight and I'm really grateful for your
input

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my post

Kind Regards,
Wayne

W

Wayne Smith

Hi John,
I really appreciate your reply, I understand much better now why it wasn't
working before.

Thanks for your input

Regards,
Wayne

W

Wayne Smith

Thanks Ricky,
From first impressions the software looks great and I'll play around with it
properly later and hopefully I should be able to do exactly what it says on
the tin.

I appreciate you taking the time to post a reply

Best Regards,
Wayne

J

JS

You're Welcome.

JS

Thanks JS,
I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to post a reply, you've helped me out a lot

Kind Regards,
Wayne

Windows SP2 Download

JS

Kind Regards,
Wayne

N

nesredep egrob

Kind Regards,
Wayne
It simply has to be that you cannot copy the hidden files unless you unhide
them?

Borge in sunny Perth, Australia

B

Bruce Chambers

Wayne said:

Yes, that's exactly the way it should work. Copying the CD's files to
the external drive, and then copying those files to another, blank CD
won't magically render the CD bootable. It's necessary to use a utility
such as Nero to make the copied CD bootable.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrand Russell

Ask a Question