Backing up (applications and settings) an Android tablet?

John Doe

Is there anything similar to the function of Macrium Reflect, for
backing up applications and settings on an Android tablet?

I suspect it would use a PC to help, I doubt you can boot to a
different device (like a CD or flash drive) on a tablet.

Thanks.

s|b

Is there anything similar to the function of Macrium Reflect, for
backing up applications and settings on an Android tablet?

I suspect it would use a PC to help, I doubt you can boot to a
different device (like a CD or flash drive) on a tablet.

Have you tried asking this question in comp.mobile.android?

Nil

Have you tried asking this question in comp.mobile.android?

Wouldn't matter whether he did or not - this is where he likes to dump
his every little fleeting thought, no matter how irrelevant. This
newsgroup is his internet toilet.

Astropher

Wouldn't matter whether he did or not - this is where he likes to dump
his every little fleeting thought, no matter how irrelevant. This
newsgroup is his internet toilet.

It probably has irritiable bowel syndrome. That would explain the
frequent shit dribbling.

John Doe

Nildo the netcop wannabe...

From: Nil <rednoise9 REMOVETHIScomcast.net>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Backing up (applications and settings) an Android tablet?
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 20:18:11 -0400

Have you tried asking this question in comp.mobile.android?

Wouldn't matter whether he did or not - this is where he likes to dump
his every little fleeting thought, no matter how irrelevant. This
newsgroup is his internet toilet.

John Doe

Assfur the netcop wannabe...

From: Astropher <astropher notatthisaddress.invalid>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 10:51:34 +1000

It probably has irritiable bowel syndrome. That would explain the
frequent shit dribbling.

John Doe

Needless to say...

If Nildo didn't find my threads informative or entertaining,
it could simply ignore all threads (or sub threads) of which
I am the author.

Instead, Nildo wants to be netcup of UseNet.

From: Nil <rednoise9 REMOVETHIScomcast.net>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 20:18:11 -0400

Have you tried asking this question in comp.mobile.android?

Wouldn't matter whether he did or not - this is where he likes to dump
his every little fleeting thought, no matter how irrelevant. This
newsgroup is his internet toilet.

SC Tom

John Doe said:

Try it out, and if you get it to work as advertised, post back. I tried this
method a while back (and again today with updated SDKs), and could never get
the ADK to find my device. I checked every setting I have on my tablet (Asus
MeMo Smart10 running Jelly Bean 4.2.1), and there is no Developer Options
screen to select USB Debugging. I have the drivers installed from Asus for
it; the only thing I haven't done is install the Unlocker App from them
since that would defeat the purpose of the tutorial.

I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences with it.

John Doe

SC Tom said:
"John Doe" <jdoe usenetlove.invalid> wrote

Try it out

I'm still shopping, but I most certainly will if it's the closest thing
to Macrium Reflect functionality.
I tried this method a while back (and again today with updated
SDKs), and could never get the ADK to find my device. I checked
every setting I have on my tablet (Asus MeMo Smart10 running
Jelly Bean 4.2.1), and there is no Developer Options screen to
select USB Debugging.

I'm sure that's the problem.

Apparently that setting was hidden on 4.2.

http://www.wugfresh.com/faqs/how-do-i-enable-usb-debugging-the-developer-options-menu-item-is-gone/

How do I enable USB debugging? (The "Developer Options" menu item
is gone!)

Answer: The "Developer Options" menu item on 4.2.* is hidden.

1. Goto Settings -> About Phone.

2. Goto "Build Number" at the end of the Scroll list.

3. Tap on "Build Number" repeatedly (7 times). On your third tap
you should see message indicating that you only have 4 more taps
to go to 'become a developer'.

4. Continue: 4 more taps.

5. Hooray, you are now a 'Developer', go back to the Setting page.

6. You should see Developer Option menu item in your setting list
now.

7. Open Developer Options and check USB debugging > Ok

Gene E. Bloch

Nobody here but us "netcups"!

I have a netmug. I like it better for my netcoffee. With its flat
bottom, it's more stable and won't spill onto my keyboard like my old
netcup did.

(I did consider not posting the above, but I'm in no mood to be sensible
at the moment.)

Nil

I have a netmug. I like it better for my netcoffee. With its flat
bottom, it's more stable and won't spill onto my keyboard like my
old netcup did.

I used to put a little nutmeg in my netmug with my netcoffee, but it
tended to irritate my throat and make me a little netcoughy.
(I did consider not posting the above, but I'm in no mood to be
sensible at the moment.)

Sensibility is highly overrated.

Bob I

I have a netmug. I like it better for my netcoffee. With its flat
bottom, it's more stable and won't spill onto my keyboard like my old
netcup did.

(I did consider not posting the above, but I'm in no mood to be sensible
at the moment.)

It's little things like that which make the world a better place.

John Doe

Babbling troll...

From: Bob I <birelan yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 18:08:31 -0500

John Doe said:
[...]

Who would have thought of 7 taps to enable it? Jeez! But it works on "About
Tablet. . ." also. Thanks for that :)

I was able to connect, and create a backup. It's not informative at all
while "running", just closes the command window when it's done. Or, I assume
it's done. If I look at my Apps page, it shows 2.8GB used, but my backup is
only 1.8GB. I don't think it uses compression (couldn't find it mentioned
anywhere), so I'm not sure what the missing 1GB is. My Real Racing 3 app is
1.73GB, so I'm not getting a real warm and fuzzy about this method.

I'm going to try again tomorrow with sleep turned off, even though the
backup size was changing while the tablet slept. Maybe it continues for a
little while in sleep (maybe to finish a file or folder), then stops. I
don't know. I'll see whether turning sleep off or not makes a difference.

John Doe

SC Tom said:
I don't think it uses compression (couldn't find it mentioned
anywhere), so I'm not sure what the missing 1GB is. My Real
Racing 3 app is 1.73GB, so I'm not getting a real warm and fuzzy
about this method.

I'll see whether turning sleep off or not makes a difference.

I don't expect it to be easy as Macrium Reflect, but the restore must
work 100% of the time, whether it's that method or some other method.
The problem with partial backups is they get confused. And I'd rather
not root the device, especially if the maker installs Android free of
bloatware.