Average more than 30 numeric arguments

~SB

I need help on how to average more than 30 numbers in a single column when
the numbers are not in contiguous rows. Excel tells me I can only have 1 to
30 numeric arguments when I try to average more than 30 cells.
An example of what I'm trying to do:
=average(a1,a3,a5,a7,a9,a11,...,a61,a63,a65,...)

I would appreciate any insights.

Luke M

If you're always picking an odd row, the trick is to use a contiguous range,
but combine it with an IF statement to "cancel" the un-needed values.

=AVERAGE(IF(MOD(ROW(A1:A65),2)=1,A1:A65))

Input this as an array* formula. Adjust ranges as needed.

* (Use Ctrl+Shift+Enter to confirm, not just Enter)

Ron Rosenfeld

I need help on how to average more than 30 numbers in a single column when
the numbers are not in contiguous rows. Excel tells me I can only have 1 to
30 numeric arguments when I try to average more than 30 cells.
An example of what I'm trying to do:
=average(a1,a3,a5,a7,a9,a11,...,a61,a63,a65,...)

I would appreciate any insights.

Another solution than Luke's, if your ranges cannot be related by some formula,
would be to add all the values, then divide by the appropriate number.

For example:

=(SUM(a1,a3,a5,a7) + a11 + a92 +a94 +sum(a100,a200,a300)) / 10

or something similar.
--ron

Niek Otten

And if you just put an extra pair of brackets around the list of cells, it
is considered one argument. I don't know how many cells you can put in a
list like this, but certainly more than 30. And of course then you can start
a new list, which will only be the second argument, etc

Gord Dibben

Niek

Using =AVERAGE((cell1,cell2,cell3............))

I quit adding non-contiguous cells at 100 and no problem to that point.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Ron Rosenfeld

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

Good point!
--ron

RagDyer

Using that "trick" you showed me Gord (<Shift> <F8>), I got 236 cells to
work before the "Formula Too Long" error popped up.

BTW, it (<Shift> <F8>) also works well for selecting non-contiguous cells
for the "Named Range" data entry procedure.

Raj kumar Moguram

I need help on how to average more than 30 numbers in a in more than 30 worksheets.

~SB wrote:

Average more than 30 numeric arguments
17-Aug-09

I need help on how to average more than 30 numbers in a single column when
the numbers are not in contiguous rows. Excel tells me I can only have 1 to
30 numeric arguments when I try to average more than 30 cells.
An example of what I am trying to do:
=average(a1,a3,a5,a7,a9,a11,...,a61,a63,a65,...)

I would appreciate any insights.
--
~SB

Average more than 30 numeric arguments
I need help on how to average more than 30 numbers in a single column when
the numbers are not in contiguous rows. Excel tells me I can only have 1 to
30 numeric arguments when I try to average more than 30 cells.
An example of what I am trying to do:
=average(a1,a3,a5,a7,a9,a11,...,a61,a63,a65,...)

I would appreciate any insights.
--
~SB

If you're always picking an odd row, the trick is to use a contiguous range,
If you are always picking an odd row, the trick is to use a contiguous range,
but combine it with an IF statement to "cancel" the un-needed values.

=AVERAGE(IF(MOD(ROW(A1:A65),2)=1,A1:A65))

Input this as an array* formula. Adjust ranges as needed.

* (Use Ctrl+Shift+Enter to confirm, not just Enter)

--
Best Regards,

Luke M

:

Re: Average more than 30 numeric arguments
Another solution than Luke's, if your ranges cannot be related by some formula,
would be to add all the values, then divide by the appropriate number.

For example:

=(SUM(a1,a3,a5,a7) + a11 + a92 +a94 +sum(a100,a200,a300)) / 10

or something similar.
--ron

And if you just put an extra pair of brackets around the list of cells, it is
And if you just put an extra pair of brackets around the list of cells, it
is considered one argument. I do not know how many cells you can put in a
[...]

RD

Thanks RDProbably got to the formula 1024 character limit.
Thanks RD

Probably got to the formula 1024 character limit.

Gord

Book Review: Silverlight 2 In Action [Manning]
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...e23-b99338b59ee1/book-review-silverlight.aspx

David Biddulph

You've quoted a previous thread. Which of those suggestions did you try,
and in what way didn't it work?
--
David Biddulph

~SB wrote:

[...]

Bob Phillips

Group them like so

=AVERAGE((A1,A3,A7),(A9,A11),...,(A61,A63,A65))

HTH

Bob

~SB wrote:

[...]

Bernard Liengme

Insert an empty sheet before the first one that you wish to work with; give
it the name Start
Insert an empty sheet after the last one that you wish to work with; give it
the name End
To average all the cells C6 on the sheets use =AVERAGE(Start:End!C6)
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

in message

~SB wrote:

[...]

Lori Miller

I need help on how to average more than 30 numbers in more than 30
worksheets.

If you mean numbers in the same position on different worksheets, try:
=AVERAGE(Sheet1:Sheet31!E3)

If the cells differ from sheet to sheet, you have to enter each
individually:
=Sheet1!A1 + Sheet2!B2 + Sheet3!C3 + ... + Sheet31!AE31

Excel 2007 allows up to 255 values in AVERAGE and other functions.

Niek Otten wrote:

And if you just put an extra pair of brackets around the list of cells, it
is considered one argument. I do not know how many cells you can put in a
list like this, but certainly more than 30...

I think you can include up to 32,768 areas in function arguments, so the
formula length limitation always comes first. This has been extended in
Excel 2010.

You can test this by entering =sum((s,s,s,s)) where s:=selection() is a
defined name. First select 8192 values in alternate rows using goto>special
(the maximum allowed up to Excel 2007), press Ctrl+Alt+F9 to recalculate.
Now try replacing the formula with =sum((s,s,s,s,a1)), select rows and
recalculate and it runs out of memory. (Ignore circular references and make
sure to save first!)

Raj Kumar Moguram

I would like to know the formula for calculting average from more than 30 worksheets

Example:

=AVERAGE('1'!N5,'2'!N5,'3'!N5,'4'!N5,'5'!N5,'6'!N5,'7'!N5,'8'!N5,'9'!N5,'10'!N5,'11'!N5,'12'!N5,'13'!N5,'14'!N5,'15'!N5,'16'!N5,'17'!N5,'18'!N5,'19'!N5,'20'!N5,'21'!N5,'22'!N5,'23'!N5,'24'!N5,'25'!N5,'26'!N5,'27'!N5,'28'!N5,'29'!N5,'30'!N5,'31'!N5)

When I give the above formula, it is giving an error message like "more arguements"

M. Raj Kumar

~SB wrote:

[...]

Average of more than 30 numbers
I need help on how to average more than 30 numbers in a in more than 30 worksheets.

You've quoted a previous thread.
You've quoted a previous thread. Which of those suggestions did you try,
and in what way did not it work?
--
David Biddulph

<Raj kumar Moguram> wrote in message

[...]

Server Side Processing in ADO.NET/WCF Data Services
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...f-4f6f92a76585/server-side-processing-in.aspx

Luke M

Assuming those sheets are next to each other:
=AVERAGE(1:31!N5)

If they aren't, you get get past the 30 arguement limit by simply using a
second set of parenthesis: