Average CPU Temp...

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
What the average temprature that a CPU should be at? I have a Amd Athlon XP 3000 running at 51 degrees. Is that good or bad, im assuming thats bad...
Also, while im at it, are dual bios good?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
51C is a little over the top for an ideal temp, but nothing to worry about. Is that at idle or full load?

Good temps for an XP chip are about 43 - 46C at idle, 46 - 50C on full load.

Dual Bios is good. Study the motherboard manual, as it's different for each motherboard, and understand it. Make notes. Put an emergency plan into place so you know how to implement bios backup from a dual bios system should the worst occur. Or it could be automatic. Whatever. Just read the manual.

Reaction score
my Intel 2.8c sits at anywhere between 39 and 43 degrees just surfing the net. Thats at 3.02GHz.

51 degrees is fine - athlons tend to generally run a little hotter than P4's anyway...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Muckshifter Temperature Warning:

Any Attempt to make sense of CPU temp readouts without checking their accuracy can seriously damage your sanity.

The CPU temp sensors on motherboards are highly inaccurate. Readouts are commonly wrong by 20C. Errors as high as 50C have been reported.

AMD state the max operating temp for their XP CPUs is 85C. Some earlier CPUs were 90C, but only a few. Stick with 85C.

85C is the Internal Fry Temp. If the temperature inside the CPU goes above 85C your CPU is increasingly likely to die. Permanently.

Most motherboard CPU temp sensors report the Surface temp. The Surface Temp is typically around 10C lower than the Internal CPU Temp under Full Load conditions. So:

Internal Fry Temp = 85C
Surface Fry Temp = 75C

The Error Free Temp is not the same as the Fry Temp. It will vary from CPU to CPU, but typically it's 20C below the Fry Temp, i.e.

Internal Error Free Temp = 65C
Surface Error Free Temp = 55C

If you over-clock your machine the Error Free Temp falls, i.e. your CPU has to run cooler in order to remain stable.

Reaction score
mine with xp1800 and zalman fan runs around 39C- 40C. but the best part is my fans RPM which is around 1548!!!!!

Reaction score
Thermaltke said:
i seen a cpu cooler that ran at 900 RPM

:p

oh yer................

well I SEE ONE right now! Cant even hear it that is is running either!! :):):)

muckshifter

Reaction score
My 486 doesn't even have a Heat-sink, never mind a fan ... and PSU fan stoped working ages ago.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
My 486 doesn't even have a Heat-sink, never mind a fan ... and PSU fan stoped working ages ago.

That's obviously the 90Mhz one then, those 133Mhz chips are killers for heat, gotta watch 'em :D

Reaction score
Spooky - Probably not unless you think you have heat problems. If your computer is stable and works ok i wouldn't bother!

muckshifter

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
That's obviously the 90Mhz one then, those 133Mhz chips are killers for heat, gotta watch 'em :D
Nope ... 486 DX/2 ... thats 50MHz Timing = 100

... even then Intel were playing with numbers ... they never added up. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ah, an 80286, that was my introduction, back in 95 or 96, can't remember, this guy at a college I was working at gave me one of those. I'd ignored computers up until then.

And then I 'upgraded' to a 386. I was hooked.

When I see that fella again, I think I'm gonna give him a slap, he got me started..... and cost me a fortune.

But I love it really :D

As for temp probes, unless it's that important to you and you're an absolute geek, don't bother. If all is running OK, just get on with enjoying your life and your computer.

In my opinion....

Reaction score
My 2500+, at 2144MHz runs at a nice 36-40 C idle and 40-43C load. Obviously changes depending on what kind of day it is. At the mo, feels like my flat has moved itself to Moscow, Mid winter.
I`ve heard that graphics cards run at silly temperatures tho. 80C considered NORMAL???

Ask a Question