    is in Word 2007, we can't find a way to enable AutoText so that it pops up
    suggestions as she types a few letters, like in Work 2003.

    What am I missing?

    Guest, Mar 12, 2007

    Stefan Blom Guest

    Herb Tyson has the answer for this question (found in the "How do I
    use autotext in Vista like I did in XP?" thread in this newsgroup):

    ****************************
    AutoComplete has been disabled due to
    the enormous quantity of Building Blocks (the expanded successor to
    AutoText) that would otherwise cause AutoComplete to occur just about
    all
    the time.

    To force completion after typing the first four characters, you'll
    need to
    press the F3 key. This will work with any Building Block, not just
    AutoText.
    But, it will work only if there are no other entries that begin with
    the
    same 4 letters.

    As a work-around, many users are finding it useful to use AutoCorrect
    entries instead of AutoText entries, and to purposefully create
    shorthands
    that match what they were typing in Word 2003 and earlier. There's
    still no
    AutoComplete display, but typing any word separator (space, period,
    comma,
    etc.) will trigger that automatic change from the shorthand into the
    expanded form.
    ****************************

    --
    Stefan Blom
    Microsoft Word MVP

    Stefan Blom, Mar 12, 2007

  3. Hi Peter,

    MS Office 2003 expanded the galleries of saved entries into the 'Document Parts/Building Blocks/Quick Parts' feature set to include
    the items you see when you go to insert preformatted pages, headers and footers with themed content. Autotext is now just a single
    category of Building Blocks and has, unfortunately, due to the possibility of having too many items that have the same starting
    text, had the 'autocomplete' suggestions removed.

    You can, if you have the first few characters unique, still use the F3 (complete) key to have it pop-in the Autotext entries.

    ===========
    <<"Peter West" <Peter > wrote in message news:...
    I just upgraded my wife's computer to Vista/Office 2007.

    She uses AutoText to help with her medical transcription work. Now that she
    is in Word 2007, we can't find a way to enable AutoText so that it pops up
    suggestions as she types a few letters, like in Work 2003.

    What am I missing? <<
    --

    Bob Buckland ?:)
    MS Office System Products MVP