Autosave

gurvinder.nijjar

If autosave is on, and a user forgets to save a document and closes his
document, where does autosave save the document. Autosave is set to save a
document automatically every so often, but where does it default the changes
to.

Also we can change where autosave saves the document, as we would like
autosave to save the documents auotmatically at a specific location.

Mark Rosenkrantz

Hello;

You can then only retrieve the latest update of that workbook in the
directory where autosave stores that workbook.
So it could be that if you gave autosave an interval of 30 minutes, the
latest version misses a lot of data.

Mark.

gurvinder.nijjar

But if you have just opened a new document and autosave is on, and you close
the document with out saving, where would autosave store th document and
with what name.
And can you change the location of where autosave stores the files.

Dave Peterson

If you really mean Autosave (an addin in xl versions before xl2002), then the
file gets saved in place. There is no other spot.

If you mean AutoRecovery (xl2002 and above), then look at Dave Hawley's
suggestion:

Tools|Options|Save Tab (it's user selectable)

If you meant Jan Karel Pieterse's AutoSafe (note spelling) program.

It doesn't overwrite the existing workbook when it saves. It saves to a user
selectable folder. And when it's done, it either deletes these backups (or puts
them in the recycle bin). And the user can always restore the backups from the
recycle bin.

=====
And if you didn't mean AutoSafe, you may want to get a copy of Jan Karel's
addin. It might save a few tears in the future.

http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm
(look for AutoSafe.zip, not autosafeVBE.zip, for your purposes.)

gurvinder.nijjar

yes, i mean autosave, what do you mean by the file gets saved in place.

Jan Karel Pieterse

Hi,
yes, i mean autosave, what do you mean by the file gets saved in place.
"Dave Peterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Dave means, that Autosave just does a normal save for you, overwriting
your original file in the original location. No "hidden" files in out
of the way directories.

My Autosafe is better in that it also automatically backs up unsaved
new workbooks and it doesn't affect your original file(s).

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
www.jkp-ads.com

gurvinder.nijjar

if i wanted to use autosafe for our company how where can i download this
product.