Automatic wake up from Hibernation/Standby

Reaction score
This is Driving me nuts.
Laptop Tecra M5 2GB XP Pro SP3 Internet via router (wireless and/or wired)
Pc-Cillin 2007; a-squared, Spybot with latest updates

If I put the machine into hibernation it automatically restarts some 15 - 20 minutes later
The computer is not connected to anything - no power, no network, no mouse, nothing - and is not moved during the period.

All 'allow device to wake up' settings are disabled and powercfg.exe confirms there is nothing that is 'wake up armed' (powercfg.exe /DEVICEQUERY wake_armed returns NONE)
The wireless LAN is switched off; There are no scheduled tasks; The BIOS settings (Alarm, Wake up for LAN, Critical Battery) have wake up disabled and The event log has no entries relating to the restart.

If I put it into standby more or less the same thing happens.

Hibernation/Standby used to work but for various reasons I had to restore an old backup and reload most of the software. (I canot guarantee that exactly the same software is loaded as before.) Since then hibernation/standby has not worked

Any suggestions very welcome.

Reaction score
More recently I have been getting
The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{C3C55AFE-2623-426F-88F5-A69C323DC2F9} because a master browser was stopped.
as the first event after the wake up.

Does this mean the browser has activated the network card and thus woken up the machine

Reaction score
So I have disabled WIA, put the macine into hibernation and then, when it wakes up automatically, the event log message is :-
DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service StiSvc with arguments "" in order to run the server: {A1F4E726-8CF1-11D1-BF92-0060081ED811}

BTW stisvc is the same as WIA.
A search through regeit confirms that A1F4E726-8CF1-11D1-BF92-0060081ED811 refers to StiSvc

Which is fine, but how do in find out what has started DCOM?

Ask a Question