Automated Word Documents

G

I am trying to create a series of automated word templates for use by co-workers. Ideally, they would select the appropriate template when creating a specific document. The document would open up, prompt them with a series of drop-down, fillin boxes, they would fill in the specific information for that document one time and then through the use of bookmarks in various places throughout the document, the information would fill in where the bookmarks are located

I have created one test template in which all my field codes are located on the first page of the document. The problems that I am encountering are

I can't get it to automatically prompt the user with the series of fillin boxes unless
the user selects the field codes then presses F9. I have done this before (several
years ago on an older version) but I can't remember how I did it. Is it a macro
Can someone help

Secondly, when I DO press F9, I am prompted with the fillin boxes and when I finish
the information is stored where the bookmarks are, but, they are bolded, all caps, an
since the document is full justified it spaces (what might only be 2 words) only the
bookmark information on that line, making it look ridiculous. How do I change th
font properties so they insert the information where the bookmarks are correctly

I truly want to create this automated tool for my co-workers because the documents tha
they are creating are very large and the text is very repetitive. Being able to set this up s
they only have to type the repetitive information once cuts down on misspellings, typos and
cutting and pasting. They are begging me to complete this so they can try it out.

If someone out there can help me, I'd sure appreciate it. I've got the latest Word 200
User Manuals that I could find but none give specific answers to my automation questions
I'll try anyone's advice at this point because the template is complete. All I need to know i
what's that last piece to make it completely automated. Thanks in Advance.

D

Doug Robbins - Word MVP - DELETE UPPERCASE CHARACT

See the article “How to create a Userform” at:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms/CreateAUserForm.htm

--
Please post any further questions or followup to the newsgroups for the
benefit of others who may be interested. Unsolicited questions forwarded
directly to me will only be answered on a paid consulting basis.

Hope this helps
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

G

Thanks, Doug. I'm trying your suggestion. Seems to be quite tedious as I had everything already in place in my original template. I thought there might be some very simple solution. I'll let you know how it goes. I've followed the instructions for how to create a Userform. Now I'm trying to work it into my existing template. However, my template is quite long (35 pages) with 50+ bookmarks and fillin, repetitive information. Let's see what happens.

Ask a Question