autologon with group policy .adm template

Hi all
I'm desperately trying to force autologon in WinXP Pro via group policy. I've designed a template and I get the entries in my workstation's registry in "HKLM\Software\Policies". But heck, there's no autologon!
Any help (e.g. a functioning template) would be greatly appreciated!
Felix
Switzerland

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Go to Start > Run and type: control userpasswords2 , and hit enter.

How to turn on automatic logon in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| Hi all
| I'm desperately trying to force autologon in WinXP Pro via group policy. I've designed a template and I get
the entries in my workstation's registry in "HKLM\Software\Policies". But heck, there's no autologon!
| Any help (e.g. a functioning template) would be greatly appreciated!
| Felix
| Switzerland

Hi Carey
You unfortunatedly didn't read my post:
| I'm desperately trying to force autologon in WinXP Pro VIA GROUP POLICY. I've designed a template and I get
the entries in my workstation's registry in "HKLM\Software\Policies". But heck, there's no autologon!
I need an administrative template, the cumbersomely solutions from Microsoft do not fit my need! I have an Active Directory domain with 200 PCs and want to be able to control autologon processes in Group Policy.

Felix

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Sorry, you failed to mention the workstations are apparently
joined to a domain. Auto logon cannot be implemented in a domain
environment.

Ref: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;282866

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| Hi Carey
| You unfortunatedly didn't read my post:
| > | I'm desperately trying to force autologon in WinXP Pro VIA GROUP POLICY. I've designed a template and I
get
| > the entries in my workstation's registry in "HKLM\Software\Policies". But heck, there's no autologon!
| I need an administrative template, the cumbersomely solutions from Microsoft do not fit my need! I have an
Active Directory domain with 200 PCs and want to be able to control autologon processes in Group Policy.

| Felix

Auto logon cannot be implemented in a domain
environment.
Excuse me, I don't want to sound that hard, but have you ever worked in a productive environment?
Autologon does work even if you have joined a domain. You can do it with TweakUI or manually by adding the necessary keys in the registry.
All I need is a functioning administrative template wich adds and configures this keys.
I can't believe there isn't anyone in this world who has achieved this goal?
Felix

Carey Frisch [MVP]

On a dedicated special function server such as print server or application server,
one might want to bypass the Logon dialog box and automatically logon to the server.
NOT RECOMMENDED. If you want to set it on your standalone workstation at home,
well thats a different matter. If you want to set this on a workstation on a network,
consider the word "SECURITY".

Automatic Logon
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/nt/registry/rtips34.shtml

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Felix Roth" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| Excuse me, I don't want to sound that hard, but have you ever worked in a productive environment?
| Autologon does work even if you have joined a domain. You can do it with TweakUI or manually by adding the
necessary keys in the registry.
| All I need is a functioning administrative template wich adds and configures this keys.
| I can't believe there isn't anyone in this world who has achieved this goal?
| Felix

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Sorry, I have no knowledge of an administrative template that can
be used for auto login in a domain environment. However, you
may wish to consult the folks in the Group Policy newsgroup:

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
| > If you want to set this on a workstation on a network,
| > consider the word "SECURITY".
| Well, I really don't need any lesson in security. You can believe me, I locked the autologon workstations
down!
| In other words: You can't help me, can you?
| Felix

Felix, your discussion inspired me to browse to http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS2000/techinfo/howitworks/management/rbppaper.asp and download the "Implementing Registry-Based Group Policy" whitpaper. This 54 page document describes in excruciating detail how to write custom .adm files to create regitry keys or edit registry values. After all, as you obviously know, policies are just registry values.

I downloaded the whitepaper. Spent 15 minutes studying the 3 pages that I needed. Spent another 30 writing an .adm file that will:

Add a new 'Force Automatic Logon' catagory under Computer\Administrative Tempates in the GPEdit GUI.

Offer a policy that will set the Winlogon registry values for
AutoAdminLogon=
DefaultUserName=
DefaultPassword=
ForceAutoLogon=

I then spent another hour testing in a lab on a W2K3 domain on XP_SP2 RC1 workations (I love VMware). Thanks for giving me the inspiration to learn a new skill that i can add it my tookit.

Good Luck.

Joined
Dec 20, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hmmm no point in being mean...

No point in throwing security insults around. Our company is about to implement an autologon sequence in order to implement heavily restricted kiosks.