    How can I get this to occur automatically?

    I get all lost not knowing all the functions and parameters that excell uses.

    Please help me with this :)

    Guest, Jan 9, 2006

    SteveG Guest

    You can use Conditional Formatting.

    Select the entire row that you want to fill. Go to Format>Conditiona
    Formatting. Select the Formula is: Option and use this for formattin
    red.

    =$G3="Fail"

    Click on Format and select the color. Ok.

    Click Add>>

    For condition 2, use Formula Is

    =$G3="Pass"

    Click on Format and select the color. Ok.

    Click on Ok.

    Select the entire row again, click on the Format Painter and apply i
    to all the rows you need.

    Cheers,

    Stev

    --
    Steve
    SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=757

    SteveG, Jan 9, 2006

    1) With A1 selected, Go into <Format><Conditional Formatting>
    2) Choose "Formula Is" in the drop down box and enter =$G1="Pass", and
    choose a green format
    3) Choose to add a condition (by pressing "Add>>"), choose "Formula Is" in
    the drop down box again, and enter =$G1="Fail", and choose a red format.
    4) Click OK
    5) Select A1 and copy the formatting across every column, and down every row
    you would like this formatting to occur.

    Does that help?
    --
    Regards,
    Dave

    Guest, Jan 9, 2006

    Hey guys none of this helped all that much :S

    The entire Column of "G" needs to have this rule applied for ALL rows.
    The code you guys gave me is per row capable only.

    Is there a wild card I can use? ex =$G*="Pass"

    or a way to apply the rule of Column "G" coloring each row to the whole
    worksheet?

    Guest, Jan 10, 2006

    SteveG Guest

    This should work. Using $G1 in your conditional format will allow you
    to drag the formula accross columns or vertically down rows keeping
    column G as the reference column and only changing the row number as it
    is copied down. Not sure without seeing an example of what you are
    trying to accomplish though.

    Steve

    --
    SteveG
    SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=7571

    SteveG, Jan 10, 2006

    Gord Dibben Guest

    "ALL" rows?

    CTRL + a(twice in 2003) to select every row of the sheet.

    Format>CF and enter the 2 conditions as you were shown.

    Make sure you use =$G1="Pass" for condition1 and =$G1="Fail" for
    condition2

    NOTE the $ sign to lock column G but not the row number.

    I think formatting the entire sheet is a bit much. Perhaps you could
    select cells A1:X500 or somesuch range.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

    Gord Dibben, Jan 10, 2006