Audio distortion help

Reaction score
The sound in some movie files gets distorted and peoples voices get deeper. This happens no matter what program I use to play the file. It first started when I upgraded my computer from Win ME to Win XP Pro and wasn't that big of a deal but now it distorts the sound in GTA3. I tried updating my audio drivers but it didn't work. How can I get rid of the distortion?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Need a little more detail from you I'm afraid.

Technical specs for a start.

Did you upgrade from Win ME to XP?

Would have been much much better to wipe hard disk then do fresh install of XP.

In fact, I'll make a wild gamble and say that's what your problem is.

ME was not particularly too good.

Reaction score
Try turning down the Audio hardware acceleration down in pref for your soundcard

Control panel/Sounds and devices/Volume/Advanced/Performance

Try taking it down to about half way at first and progress upwards

GL

Reaction score
Reducing the hardware acceleration didn't work.
Here are my CPU specs:

AMD Athlon 1.2 Ghz
Windows XP Pro SP2
256 MB SDRAM
VIA AC'97 Audio Controller
128 MB Nvidia Geforce FX 5200
20 GB Harddrive (3 GB free)
120 GB Harddrive (12 GB free)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
emanx995 said:
The sound in some movie files gets distorted and peoples voices get deeper. This happens no matter what program I use to play the file. It first started when I upgraded my computer from Win ME to Win XP Pro and wasn't that big of a deal but now it distorts the sound in GTA3. I tried updating my audio drivers but it didn't work. How can I get rid of the distortion?
Everything you do will go through the CPU to do it ... the onboard sound only produces the sound it does not process it, the CPU has to do that.

Give it some help and get some more ram, 256 is really pushing the boat out and XP will just go and use your HD as RAM ... then I see you have not got much room left on either drive, the 20gig is going to choke this a little.

Your system cannot breath.

Close down non essential programs, the only thing needed running in your taskbar is an AV program, all the others can be closed.

I would also recommend you free up some more space on the 120 or replace the 20gig with a new bigger drive.

Failing that, get a new sound card that will not only produce better sound but will also process it and take some of the workload off the CPU.

:thumb:

Ask a Question