audio conversation problem

K

Ken Denton

I am using Windows XP Professional and when I have an audio conversation everything seems to be working, but I cannot hear my friend. Any ideas?

J

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Greetings Ken,

If you or your contact are using Windows XP, you might try turning off the QoS Packet
Scheduler. To do so, click Start, All Programs, Accessories, Communications, Network
Connections. Right click your network/internet connection, then click Properties. Uncheck
the QoS Packet Scheduler,and try again.

Secondly, if you or your contact are using a router (assumingly with UPnP support since it
actually connects), you can clean out the UPnP port forwardings (this is Windows XP only).
To do so, click Start, All Programs, Accessories, Communications, Network Connections.
Right-click the "Internet Gateway" (should be under the Internet Gateway heading) and choose
Properties. Choose the Settings button, click each 'msmsgs' or 'msnmsgr' entry and then
choose 'Delete' to each one. Then close Messenger (right-click the Messenger icon, choose
Exit), then restart Messenger.

Finally, again XP only, although the built-in Internet Connection Firewall should be able to
allow Messenger voice conversations through without any problem, it may be beneficial for
testing purposes to turn it off -- Start, All Programs, Accessories, Communications, Network
Connections. Right click your network/internet connection, then click Properties. Click the
Advanced Tab, and verify that the Internet Connection Firewall is unchecked. As well, if
your contact is using some type of third-party firewall (ZoneAlarm, Norton Internet Security,
etc.) have them make sure that Messenger is set to "Permit All", "Allow All" or "Medium"
(ZoneAlarm).
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.

Ask a Question