Windows XP attributes lost when copying files across the network

Reaction score
I'm using a batch file in group policy (logon script) to copy a configuration file for a set program from a network share to the users application data folder.
I've set the configuration file as read only on the network share.
The script runs, but the file doesn't copy over as read only. I'm losing the attribute when it's copied.
I'm copying from Windows Server 2003 to Windows XP Pro. I've tried this on my user account and Im a Domain Admin.
I'm at a loss and I know it has to be something so simple causing this.
Please Help! :bow:

Reaction score
Hi MSTexas....
happywave.gif

Welcome to the forum...
happywave.gif

I am not to good with scripting, but there are a good few people on this forum that are pretty good. Can I suggest adding your script to your post. Would be a great help for those that try to help you....:thumb:

Reaction score
losing read only attribute when copying across network

Here is a copy of my simple script. It copies the file to the location from Group Policy in the login script, but it doesn't keep the read only attribute.
This is a configuration file for the program and we don't want users to be able to make changes to the startup config.

@ECHO OFF
copy \\airnt\eiminstall\userpreferences.config "%userprofile%\application Data\passageways\Enterprise Instant Messenger"

Reaction score
add another line of code at the end with

attrib +R "location and name of file after copy"

it will set the file read only for you

Ask a Question