Attachment Save Button Greyed out for images

M

MPS

Vista, Home Premium, Windows Mail

Hi all,

all of a sudden the button to Save Attachments under the Paperclip is greyed out for images such as .jpg
I can see the image numbers/names listed but all in grey.
I can still save them by rightclicking them in the preview pane but for a mail containing many pics that is rather cumbersome.

For other attachment such as movies, powerpoints etc. the Save Button is NOT greyed out and works fine for quick saving...

Any thoughts how to repair this strange behaviour?
Curious,
Maria

S

Steve Cochran

If they are HTML messages, the images are likely embedded in the message, and so are not "attached" files.

steve

Hi all,

all of a sudden the button to Save Attachments under the Paperclip is greyed out for images such as .jpg
I can still save them by rightclicking them in the preview pane but for a mail containing many pics that is rather cumbersome.

For other attachment such as movies, powerpoints etc. the Save Button is NOT greyed out and works fine for quick saving...

Curious,
Maria

M

MPS

Thanks Steve, in order to test your suggestion I mailed myself from another account a number of attached mixed size .jpgs and alas, they will show up in the preview pane excellently and can be saved by rightclicking on them but - image numbers are all shown in grey and Save Attachment is greyed out under the paperclip.
Movies and any othet attachment stuff can be saved as usual.
Any other clues?

Curious,
Maria

"Steve Cochran" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht If they are HTML messages, the images are likely embedded in the message, and so are not "attached" files.

steve

Hi all,

Curious,
Maria

M

MPS

Steve,
in a separate posting Gary van der Molen suggests to upgrade to Windows Live Mail, killing two birds with one stone.
Attractive suggestion but - how will WMID react to that?
Or does Windows Live Mail support separate Identities again?
If not, will your excellent WMID support and work with Win Live Mail?
Curious,
Maria

"Steve Cochran" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht If they are HTML messages, the images are likely embedded in the message, and so are not "attached" files.

steve

Hi all,

Curious,
Maria

G

Gary VanderMolen

WMIDs will not work with Windows Live Mail (WLM).
WLM has a separate set of mail folders for each account,
but it doesn't support password protection to enable privacy
for multiple users. The best way to find out about WLM is
to try it out. If it turns out you don't like it, just uninstall.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Steve,
in a separate posting Gary van der Molen suggests to upgrade to Windows Live Mail, killing two birds with one stone.
Curious,
Maria

steve

Hi all,

Curious,
Maria

M

MPS

Unbelievable...

Under my current UserName>AppData>Local>Microsoft>Windows Mail I keep 8 directories for each indentity in use (as under Outlook Express), now switched and selected by WMID, working perfectly.

Followed your advice and installed Windows Live Mail. For some reason, after the green bar had completed after 30 mins, it said: Can't install.
Then unexpectedly it opened itself and showed a random one of my accounts (containing c. 20,000 messages)

Only it showed half the directory tree, say from A - K, say half the messages. K - Z was missing.
All files were visible, of course in a new bright layout, large caps, small caps, lots of eyecandy.
From mails, attachments containing .jpgs, were NOT saveable...
Other attachments such as movies were saveable!

I uninstalled the app, as I found it of no use, and I could not switch between Identities (See Gary's message)

I did a thorough regclean for letfovers and rebooted and kicked on Windows Mail... lo and behold: my .jpgs could be saved again; the images list was not greyed out anymore!
Problem over...

Any clues as to why? How to prevent this? What cured it?

Baffled,
Maria

"Gary VanderMolen" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht WMIDs will not work with Windows Live Mail (WLM).

--

Steve,
Curious,
Maria

steve

Hi all,

Curious,
Maria

G

Gary VanderMolen

Since both Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail exhibited the
same behavior (failure to save .jpg attachments), it is likely that
something outside of the email programs caused it.
However, it is a mystery to me why uninstalling WLM would cure
that problem in WM.
Look on the bright side. At least your time was somewhat productive!

--

Unbelievable...

Under my current UserName>AppData>Local>Microsoft>Windows Mail I keep 8 directories for each indentity in use (as under Outlook Express), now switched and selected by WMID, working perfectly.

Followed your advice and installed Windows Live Mail. For some reason, after the green bar had completed after 30 mins, it said: Can't install.
Then unexpectedly it opened itself and showed a random one of my accounts (containing c. 20,000 messages)

Only it showed half the directory tree, say from A - K, say half the messages. K - Z was missing.
All files were visible, of course in a new bright layout, large caps, small caps, lots of eyecandy.

I uninstalled the app, as I found it of no use, and I could not switch between Identities (See Gary's message)

I did a thorough regclean for letfovers and rebooted and kicked on Windows Mail... lo and behold: my .jpgs could be saved again; the images list was not greyed out anymore!
Problem over...

Baffled,
Maria

"Gary VanderMolen" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht WMIDs will not work with Windows Live Mail (WLM).

--

Steve,
Curious,
Maria

steve

Hi all,

Curious,
Maria

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 3937 (20090314) __________

The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 3937 (20090314) __________

M

MPS

Attaboy! I agree... my many glasses of Prosecco were worth it... only result counts... an MS
mystery... Can't get over it.
Like my car sometimes NOT starting.
I am looking at a busy & crowded Vista machine with 296 MB of reg and system32\config of 782 MB...
4GB RAM + 1.6 TB of storage...
Something's bound to happen sometime, no?
~ Maria

"Gary VanderMolen" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
Since both Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail exhibited the
same behavior (failure to save .jpg attachments), it is likely that
something outside of the email programs caused it.
However, it is a mystery to me why uninstalling WLM would cure
that problem in WM.
Look on the bright side. At least your time was somewhat productive!

--

Unbelievable...

Under my current UserName>AppData>Local>Microsoft>Windows Mail I keep 8 directories for each
indentity in use (as under Outlook Express), now switched and selected by WMID, working perfectly.

Followed your advice and installed Windows Live Mail. For some reason, after the green bar had
completed after 30 mins, it said: Can't install.
Then unexpectedly it opened itself and showed a random one of my accounts (containing c. 20,000
messages)

I uninstalled the app, as I found it of no use, and I could not switch between Identities (See
Gary's message)

I did a thorough regclean for letfovers and rebooted and kicked on Windows Mail... lo and behold: my
..jpgs could be saved again; the images list was not greyed out anymore!
Problem over...

Baffled,
Maria

"Gary VanderMolen" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
WMIDs will not work with Windows Live Mail (WLM).

--

Steve,
in a separate posting Gary van der Molen suggests to upgrade to Windows Live Mail, killing two birds
with one stone.
Curious,
Maria

"Steve Cochran" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
If they are HTML messages, the images are likely embedded in the message, and so are not
"attached" files.

steve

Hi all,

all of a sudden the button to Save Attachments under the Paperclip is greyed out for images such
as .jpg
I can still save them by rightclicking them in the preview pane but for a mail containing many
pics that is rather cumbersome.

For other attachment such as movies, powerpoints etc. the Save Button is NOT greyed out and works
fine for quick saving...

Curious,
Maria

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 3937 (20090314)

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 3937 (20090314)

S

Steve Cochran

I don't have a clue what it could have done, except perhaps reset whatever
was blocking the images. If you have that significant a message store make
sure you backup the various message stores and registry keys. See
www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx and also you can backup what is under this key
to save the info for the other IDs in WMIDs:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\scochran\WMIDs

steve

Ask a Question