Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:47:21 +0100
From: XXX<XXX>
To: XXX<XXX>
Subject: XXX
in-reply-to: <XXX>

\\ email: tim at mackey dot ie //
\\ blog: http://tim.mackey.ie //
67d0ebfec70e8db3

Tim Mackey

Hi,
i'm using outlook 2003 sp1 on XP Pro SP2, and i have a problem receiving emails sent from a Mac.
The person replied to my email, and when i received the email, all i see is my original message as the content, and an ATT000XX.txt attachment, which contains the actualy message sent by the sender.

i have read ms kb 312351, but it only applies to outlook express on ME.
i have read around online and the feeling seems to be that this is a major RFC non-compliance by outlook. see https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kmail-devel/2004-April/005045.html

"The problem is that Microsoft appears to have fallen on hard times as they don't seem to be able to attract an engineer that is able to implement RFC2231 attachment naming. Instead mails that use RFC2231 for attachment naming are shown in Outlook with cryptic names (ATT000...)."

i'm experimenting with reading all messages in plain text to see if this will solve the situation, but i don't really want to do this in the long term.

i would appreciate any insights anyone may have as to what is really going on here. i have included the headers from one of the problem emails below.
thank you
tim mackey.

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:47:21 +0100
From: XXX<XXX>