ASUS P4P800 weird issue

Reaction score
Hello all. New to the forum.

Had a weird issue last night with My Asus P4P800. I have had the machine with little to no problems.

The Video card on the machine is ATI 9600 256mb.

1 Gig of Ram.

I boot the machine up and got an error message that pops up stating the ATI card can not be overclocked. I didn't overclock the card to begin with.

I stand up a bit freaked out and place my hands on the keyboard.

The machine processeds to reboot. I get a black screen. I'm thinking I'm having a video driver issue.

I power down the machine and pull the power cord. A few minutes later the machine comes back up. THe ASUS splash page pops up. Mind you the splash page was not coming up before the whole problem started.

I see several items looking for PNP. I check the BIOS. The BIOS has gone back to factory defaults, and things I have disabled are now enabled as if I'ts right out of the box.

I'm thinking one of three things occured:

1) The video driver crashed. I have since DLed the newest video driver for the card.

2) The video card overheated. I'm going to reposition the machine as it's in a tight spot right now. This I'm thinking is a possible cause.

3) I accdently held down the insert key as I stood up and did a soft CMOS reset, hence why I have defaults setting again.

The machine is currently up and running fine. I'm going to check the machine on my lunch break to see if the clock is losing anytime. See if I had a CMOS issue which I'm doubitng there will be.

Anyone have any ideas?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think number 3 probably happened and it could just be a one off, although it would be worth looking in to in depth if it happens again. Depending on your BIOS you may have a log which will tell you how it happened (i.e. a user soft reset).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yes, I'd also go for either # 3, or as Jim said, your CMOS backup battery cell is faulty and is not saving your BIOS settings.

Ask a Question