ASUS MARS II Dual 580 Graphics Card

CSB

Reaction score
Limited supply of 999 I believe, even though they said it was 1000. Extremely expensive, but probably more eye candy than anything else and bloody huge. Is a bit like a mate having a standard ford fiesta and myself having a citroen saxo with spoilers and other waste of money accesories maybe. Most places are allowing you to pre order for £1199.00.

It is supposed to be a fair bit faster than any other card, especially as it has dual 580's (guess ASUS was embarressed over the 590 issues).

What do you all think ?

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah i saw these last month, pointless unless you really can afford to spend daft amounts and not care/notice.... :/

Think i read its actually better performance and price wise to go 580 SLI. ;)

CSB

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to see it go under a grand after a few weeks of being released. Is just rediculous and I really don't know how they can justify the price.

Making mugs out of hardcore pc gamers. That I am not ! and will never pay that for any single piece of PC hardware as I was in two minds of paying £400 for this 580.

You could build a good gaming rig for the price of the card alone.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
silly price. :rolleyes:

I'll go get one of these cards first. :)

The real problem for the GTX 550 Ti though is something that originally affected the GTS 450, and it's a problem that Nvidia can't easily resolve.
When Nvidia released the GeForce GTS 450 we were impressed with its new affordable chip, particularly when it came to DirectX 10 games. Even so, the close pricing of the GTX 460 made it a tough card to recommend.
That was back when the extra £30 would buy you a card that was notably quicker.
Today you can buy a GTS 450 for just under £90, while the 768MB versions of the GTX 460 can be had for as little as £120, with the full-fat 1GB rolling in at £130.
The basic referenced clocked versions of the GeForce GTX 550 Ti start at £120, with this overclocked rendition muscling in at £129.
That's one or two pounds at most cheaper than the faster 1GB GTX 460, and the best part of a tenner more expensive than the cheapest 768MB models.
And that's a card that actually outperforms the GeForce GTX 550 Ti, even this AMP! edition from Zotac.
It's not necessarily that the GeForce GTX 550 Ti AMP! is actually a bad card, in many respects it's a perfect entry level gaming card. Unfortunately it simply doesn't make any sense in this market at that price.
Drop the pricing closer to the £100 level and you have a card worthy of serious consideration. As it is though, you're better off grabbing a GeForce GTX 460 while you can.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc...force-gtx-550-ti-amp--935727/review?artc_pg=4

Aria had a 460 on special the other day for less than £100 inc vat. :)

Ask a Question