Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup
From: "David Garner" <[email protected]>
Date: 1999/05/08
Subject: Adaptec aspichk.exe fails in execute mode

Here's a tough one for you WTS experts. I successfully installed the
aspi32 layer while installing my new AHA-2920 SCSI controller and
verified that aspi support is started by looking at devices in control
panel. When I run aspichk.exe to verify the integrity of aspi I get
an error message that says aspi can not be initialized. Now for the
giant clue: If I "change user /install" aspichk.exe works perfectly
(my peripheral device that depends on aspi also starts working).
Now I obviously can not run in install mode all the time so I would
like to tweak something to make the aspi layer function while logged
on as a regular user or administrator. I've spent many days
looking for that elusive ini file or registry entry but to no avail.
I've also searched the adaptec web site and microsoft web site, no
joy. This is obviously going to be a big problem for adaptec so I'm
sure that someone needs to address it. I can't believe I'm the first
one to see this anomaly with WTS. BTW, I tried this on NTWS 4.0 and
I didn't have any problems.

The problem only occurs when ini/registry mapping is turned on.
Someone please help!

Thanks,
Dave Garner

All replies and help are _MUCH_ appreciated.

Michael Grigoni
Cybertheque Museum
email: msg _at_ cybertheque _dot_ org

Gary Chanson

I had a lot of trouble with that version of ASPI also, and that wasn't
even in a TS environment. There's another version hidden somewhere on the
Intel web site called ASPI32 which works much better. I don't have the
location anymore and it's not easy to find but worth the effort. If you can't
find it, send me email and I'll send it to you.

--
-GJC [MS Windows SDK MVP]
-Software Consultant (Embedded systems and Real Time Controls)