ASP2.0 Can't download files Forms Authentication

Michael Tissington

I have setup up Forms Authentication on my website and added
configuration/mappings for exe, pdf and zip files (using
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll)

However when ever I try to download a file I get the following error

Can't Find Server or DNS error

Any ideas please ?

Michael Tissington

P.S. This works in my Development environment but not in my hosted
environment.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hey Michael,

Welcome.
From your description , after you moved an ASP.NET web application from
development server to deployment server(hosting environment?), it not
longer worked, and return "Can't Find Server or DNS error" error when try
visiting some pages in the application that provide file downloading
funcitons?

From the error message, it is likely a network environment problem rather
than asp.net issue. Have you tried some other normal aspx pages in the web
application to see whether they works? Also, I'd suggest you check the IIS
log on the server machine to see whether the asp.net page requests actually
arrive the server(see whether there is log entries in the iis log mapped to
the request to your application..)

If there're anything unclear, please feel free to pos there.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Michael Tissington" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: ASP2.0 Can't download files Forms Authentication
| Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 21:34:38 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| P.S. This works in my Development environment but not in my hosted
| environment.
|

| --
| Michael Tissington
| http://www.oaklodge.com
| http://www.tabtag.com

Michael Tissington

Steven,

The problem is related to applying script mappings.

Without the script mappings, the download works (but I don't go through my
forms authentication)

With the script mappings I get the error 'Can not find server or DNS error'

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your followup Michael,

Glad that you've figured out the problem.

Have a good day!

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Michael Tissington" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: ASP2.0 Can't download files Forms Authentication
| Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 16:10:34 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Steven,
|
| Found the answer in
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;909641
|

| --
| Michael Tissington
| http://www.oaklodge.com
| http://www.sqlview.net
|
| | > Hey Michael,
| >
| > Welcome.
| > From your description , after you moved an ASP.NET web application from
| > development server to deployment server(hosting environment?), it not
| > longer worked, and return "Can't Find Server or DNS error" error when
try
| > visiting some pages in the application that provide file downloading
| > funcitons?
| >
| > From the error message, it is likely a network environment problem
rather
| > than asp.net issue. Have you tried some other normal aspx pages in the
web
| > application to see whether they works? Also, I'd suggest you check the
| > IIS
| > log on the server machine to see whether the asp.net page requests
| > actually
| > arrive the server(see whether there is log entries in the iis log
mapped
| > the request to your application..)
| >
| > If there're anything unclear, please feel free to pos there.
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Michael Tissington" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: ASP2.0 Can't download files Forms Authentication
| > | Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 21:34:38 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > |
| > | P.S. This works in my Development environment but not in my hosted
| > | environment.
| > |
| > |
| > | --