ASP.NET process identity does not have read permissions to the global assembly cache

JerryW

I just reinstalled .NET 2003 (after repeated attempts to get ASP.NET
Web Applications to work). I first did a complete uninstall of .NET
2003, .NET Framework 1.1, and IIS. I also completely deleted
c:\inetpub\wwwroot and rebooted before reinstalling.

I created a new virtual directory from within IIS (e.g. MyWebTest).
Then I tried to create a new Visual C# ASP.NET Web Application
pointing to the location http://localhost/MyWebTest. I get an error:

"The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create
or open the Web project located at the following URL:
'http://localhost/MyWebTest'. 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error'.

The Event log has:

Failed to execute the request because the ASP.NET process identity
does not have read permissions to the global assembly cache. Error:
0x8013141a

I could not see a way to change the permissions on the GAC folder
(C:\Windows\assembly). As a test, I gave the ASPNET user Administrator
privileges. That did not work - got the same error.

Can anyone help me fix this? - Thanks

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Hi Jerry,

If you unregister fusion.dll from a command prompt, you will be able to see
the permissions on the GAC.

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
ASP.NET Developer Support

This post is provided "as-is" and infers no rights.

JerryW

Thanks Jim. How do you actually see/change permissions on the GAC? I
was trying to do this with Windows Explorer (Properties-Security and
see no Security tab).

Jerry

--------------------
From: (e-mail address removed) (JerryW)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
Subject: ASP.NET process identity does not have read permissions to the global assembly cache
Date: 29 Dec 2003 08:31:46 -0800

[...]

Jerry,

You have to unregister fusion.dll first.

From: (e-mail address removed) (JerryW)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
Date: 29 Dec 2003 08:31:46 -0800

[...]

Sorry, didn't say - I did unregister fusion.dll first. In Windows
Explorer I then right-mouse-click on C:\Windows\assembly and select
Properties. The dialog has only a General tab - nothing else. I am
running Windows XP Prof and am logged in as a user with Administrator
privileges.

JerryW

From: (e-mail address removed) (JerryW)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
Date: 29 Dec 2003 08:31:46 -0800

[...]

Are you running on an NTFS partition? Do you have Simple File Sharing
enabled?

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
Microsoft Developer Support
ASP.NET
(e-mail address removed)

From: (e-mail address removed) (JerryW)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
Date: 30 Dec 2003 04:58:12 -0800

Thanks Jim. How do you actually see/change permissions on the GAC? I
was trying to do this with Windows Explorer (Properties-Security and
see no Security tab).

Jerry

(e-mail address removed) (Jim Cheshire [MSFT]) wrote in message
Hi Jerry,

If you unregister fusion.dll from a command prompt, you will be able
see
the permissions on the GAC.

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
ASP.NET Developer Support

This post is provided "as-is" and infers no rights.
the
global assembly cache
Date: 29 Dec 2003 08:31:46 -0800

[...]

Thanks Jim. I am running on an NTFS partition. I did not have Simple
File Sharing enabled. After enabling Simple File Sharing I did not see
any difference in the Windows Explorer Properties. What does Simple
File Sharing have to do with this or my original problem? Please
explain.

From: (e-mail address removed) (JerryW)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
Date: 30 Dec 2003 04:58:12 -0800

Thanks Jim. How do you actually see/change permissions on the GAC? I
was trying to do this with Windows Explorer (Properties-Security and
see no Security tab).

Jerry

(e-mail address removed) (Jim Cheshire [MSFT]) wrote in message
Hi Jerry,

If you unregister fusion.dll from a command prompt, you will be able
see
the permissions on the GAC.

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
ASP.NET Developer Support

This post is provided "as-is" and infers no rights.
the
global assembly cache

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Jerry,

If Simple File Sharing is enabled, you won't have a Security tab.

From: (e-mail address removed) (JerryW)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
Date: 30 Dec 2003 10:35:48 -0800

Sorry, didn't say - I did unregister fusion.dll first. In Windows
Explorer I then right-mouse-click on C:\Windows\assembly and select
Properties. The dialog has only a General tab - nothing else. I am
running Windows XP Prof and am logged in as a user with Administrator
privileges.

JerryW

(e-mail address removed) (Jim Cheshire [MSFT]) wrote in message
Jerry,

You have to unregister fusion.dll first.

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
ASP.NET Developer Support

This post is provided "as-is" and infers no rights.
the global assembly cache