"Arrange Icons By" missing "Picture Taken On"

G

Hi,

Typically I can sort pictures by right clicking in a folder and selecting
“Arrange Icons by†and then “Picture Taken On.†However not all picture
folders seem to display the “Picture Taken On†option and I have to go under
the Detail view and manually add it (see other posts on the topic).

This seems to be completely random: for example, if I access the My Picture
folder from the My Documents folder, I do have the option to sort by “Picture
Taken On,†but if I access the same folder from My Computer then
MyUsername’s Documents and then My Pictures, the option does not show up.
Also, certain folders don’t seem to ever show the sort by “Picture Taken Onâ€
unless I add it manually. I played around changing the folder type back and
forth from different formats (Photo Album, Picture, Music, etc.) but I did
not obtain any result. Also, removing the Thumbnail.db file did not help out.
Why is this behavior so random and is there a way to force all my subfolders
to show the “Picture Taken On†option?

Thank you

K

Keith Miller

There are a lot of variables at play here, so bear with me :)

Windows will add 'Picture Taken On' and 'Dimensions' columns to folders that use the Pictures or
PhotoAlbum template. However, this is only effective on folders that Windows automatically assumes
are pictures or that you have assigned a template to before exploring for the first time. In other
words, if you open a folder & it is displaying 'File & Folder Tasks' rather than 'Picture' tasks, it
will only have the 4 default columns in detail view -- changing the template at this point will
only affect your common tasks pane, you would still have to add the columns manually.

My guess is that at some point you may have used the 'Apply to All Folders' options (found under the
'View' tab in the folder options dialog). If this was applied from a folder that did not have the
'Picture Taken On' and 'Dimensions' columns selected, then it will override the automatic selection
described above.

Here's a quick check: Right-click on the desktop & create a new folder -- DON'T OPEN IT YET.
Right-click the folder and select 'Properties'. Under the 'Customize' tab, assign the folder a
Picture template. Now open the folder and select Details view. Do you have the additional columns
associated with a Pictures folder? If not, then a folder default was created at some point & this
is overriding the automatic columns. To remove the default, do the following:

Start -> Run -> Regedit

Navigate to:

"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Defaults"

In the right-hand pane, delete the value named "{F3364BA0-65B9-11CE-A9BA-00AA004AE837}"

This should take care of any new folders or those that have never been explored, however it sounds
like you have a number of folders with views saved that you don't want -- there are several options
for dealing with this.

1) Fresh Start:

In Regedit, navigate to:

"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam"

and delete the subkeys named "BagMRU" and "Bags"

This will delete ALL saved folder views, you'll be starting from scratch, but picture folders should
have the columns you want.

2) Gradual, Manual repair:

Just fix the errant folders manually as you encounter them, and take comfort in the fact new folders
are working correctly :)

2) Customize folders en-masse:

I've written a script that will allow you to customize one folder's view, and then have that view
applied to every subfolder of that folder. You can download the script from here:

http://mysite.verizon.net/res18hr7/FVM2.zip

G

Thank you for your help, I am very impressed, you really know the registry
inside out. Do you use a specific reference when you need to know what a key
does?

Again thank you for your very clear explanation.

Keith Miller said:

Windows will add 'Picture Taken On' and 'Dimensions' columns to folders that use the Pictures or
PhotoAlbum template. However, this is only effective on folders that Windows automatically assumes
are pictures or that you have assigned a template to before exploring for the first time. In other
words, if you open a folder & it is displaying 'File & Folder Tasks' rather than 'Picture' tasks, it
will only have the 4 default columns in detail view -- changing the template at this point will
only affect your common tasks pane, you would still have to add the columns manually.

My guess is that at some point you may have used the 'Apply to All Folders' options (found under the
'View' tab in the folder options dialog). If this was applied from a folder that did not have the
'Picture Taken On' and 'Dimensions' columns selected, then it will override the automatic selection
described above.

Here's a quick check: Right-click on the desktop & create a new folder -- DON'T OPEN IT YET.
Right-click the folder and select 'Properties'. Under the 'Customize' tab, assign the folder a
Picture template. Now open the folder and select Details view. Do you have the additional columns
associated with a Pictures folder? If not, then a folder default was created at some point & this

Start -> Run -> Regedit

Navigate to:

In the right-hand pane, delete the value named "{F3364BA0-65B9-11CE-A9BA-00AA004AE837}"

This should take care of any new folders or those that have never been explored, however it sounds
like you have a number of folders with views saved that you don't want -- there are several options
for dealing with this.

1) Fresh Start:

In Regedit, navigate to:

This will delete ALL saved folder views, you'll be starting from scratch, but picture folders should

Just fix the errant folders manually as you encounter them, and take comfort in the fact new folders

I've written a script that will allow you to customize one folder's view, and then have that view
applied to every subfolder of that folder. You can download the script from here:

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

giovanni said:
Hi,

Thank you

K

Keith Miller

You're welcome. I hope we got your problem solved -- you never actually say whether or not we did
:)

There is no one definitive registry reference. Much of the info here applies to XP, but it is far
from all inclusive:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...000/server/reskit/en-us/w2rkbook/regentry.asp

Much of what I know has been gleaned from hanging out in these newsgroups, David Candy in particular
has posted some detailed info on saved views.

The program RegMon from www.sysinternals.com is extremely helpful when trying to track down registry
changes.

--
Good Luck,

Keith

giovanni said:
does?

Keith Miller said:

described above.

Start -> Run -> Regedit

Navigate to:

for dealing with this.

1) Fresh Start:

In Regedit, navigate to:

--
Good Luck,

Keith

giovanni said:
Hi,

Thank you

G

Thank you again for your input. Sorry if it took so long for me to say that I
did solve the problem, but the system was "unavailable" for some times.

Keith Miller said:
You're welcome. I hope we got your problem solved -- you never actually say whether or not we did

There is no one definitive registry reference. Much of the info here applies to XP, but it is far
from all inclusive:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...000/server/reskit/en-us/w2rkbook/regentry.asp

Much of what I know has been gleaned from hanging out in these newsgroups, David Candy in particular

The program RegMon from www.sysinternals.com is extremely helpful when trying to track down registry
changes.

--
Good Luck,

Keith

giovanni said:
does?

Keith Miller said:

described above.

Start -> Run -> Regedit

Navigate to:

for dealing with this.

1) Fresh Start:

In Regedit, navigate to:

--
Good Luck,

Keith

Hi,

Thank you

K

Keith Miller MVP

You're welcome, glad it's fixed.

--
Good Luck,

Keith

giovanni said:
Thank you again for your input. Sorry if it took so long for me to say that I
did solve the problem, but the system was "unavailable" for some times.

Keith Miller said:

from all inclusive:

changes.

--
Good Luck,

Keith

giovanni said:
does?

:

are pictures or that you have assigned a template to before exploring for the first time.
In
other

My guess is that at some point you may have used the 'Apply to All Folders' options (found
under
the
'View' tab in the folder options dialog). If this was applied from a folder that did not
have
the
described above.

associated with a Pictures folder? If not, then a folder default was created at some point
&
this

Start -> Run -> Regedit

Navigate to:

for dealing with this.

1) Fresh Start:

In Regedit, navigate to:

This will delete ALL saved folder views, you'll be starting from scratch, but picture
folders
should

--
Good Luck,

Keith

Hi,

Thank you

Ask a Question