Are Single people being failed by holiday companies?

Reaction score
Despite the fact that companies such as Saga are trying hard to redress this issue, I still think that single people are getting a raw deal from holiday companies. It would seem that singles are put off travelling, because of the financial penalties they face from tour operators - i.e. single suppliment.

I would interested to hear other users opinions and experiences.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Murdoch's link seems to show that side of things admirably covered.

Myself, I usually go on holiday with a few mates now that I'm single.

So far this year though all I have booked is six days at the Glastonbury Festival.

Have been trying to organise a 3 day coach trip to Alton Towers for early July but so far only five takers. But I shall persevere :)

Reaction score
murdoch said:
Have a look HERE

This has not actually answered my question. Perhaps I should have phrased it differently.

Yes I know that Goggle lists hundreds of companies that supposedly cater for single people and some of them are very good.

However I have heard of several cases where single people have been ripped off by some of these companies.

For example, a single friend of mine found that when he worked out the cost of his holiday with a 'singles' holiday company, he found out that he was still paying more per head, than a couple or a family would pay for the same holiday.

I was trying to find out if anyone else had a similar experience.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
In that case, nope, I haven't got a clue, as I've never been on a singles holiday.

Sorry.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I've not been on a singles holiday either - but I see where your coming from with this.

The problem is the majority of Holiday companies buy their accommodation in bulk from the hotels - the hotels charge them on a per room basis so the cost is fixed.
The Holiday companies therefore pass that cost on in their prices, so if that room is for 2 persons for instance that cost is divided between the couple paying - so if only one person occupies that room, then that person will be charged the full rate.

However, what is wrong and often happens from what I hear, is that the single person ends up paying the full rate for the room, but then on arrival gets stuck in a smaller single room instead - now that to me is totally unfair.

Another excuse used by the industry is that a couple will spend more in the Hotel for drinks, facilities, tours etc - and these things are often taken into consideration when the hotel sets its room rates.

Yes, as has been pointed out there are singles holiday companies out there that do a great job, but often their prices are still higher than a regular company even though there is no supplement, mainly due to economies of scale and the higher room rates charged to them by the hotels.

At the end of the day the companies are there to make a profit - and they make more money out of squeezing more people into one room.

Ask a Question