Are H/D coolers a good idea or overkill?

Doc

P4 2.4 gig in a generic ATX tower, WinXP, 1 Sata, 1 IDE, NVidia GeForce FX
5200, 1 gig ram, Pinnacle capture card, to be used primarily for video
capture/editing.

Besides the 80mm side case fan it came with with, I've added an 80mm intake
and 120mm exhaust. I could be wrong but I don't sense that the PS airflow is
going to contribute much to overall system cooling given the amount of
airflow I can feel coming out the back of it.

Given this system, do you feel H/D coolers would be of true benefit - i.e.
significantly extend their life?

Doc

Doc said:
P4 2.4 gig in a generic ATX tower, WinXP, 1 Sata, 1 IDE, NVidia GeForce FX
5200, 1 gig ram, Pinnacle capture card, to be used primarily for video
capture/editing.

Forgot the DVD burner.

John Doe

Is frequent cross posting necessary?

From: "Doc" <docsavage20 xhotmail.xom>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.computer.workshop
Subject: Are H/D coolers a good idea or overkill?
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 06:05:43 GMT

P4 2.4 gig in a generic ATX tower, WinXP, 1 Sata, 1 IDE, NVidia GeForce FX
5200, 1 gig ram, Pinnacle capture card, to be used primarily for video
capture/editing.

Besides the 80mm side case fan it came with with, I've added an 80mm intake
and 120mm exhaust. I could be wrong but I don't sense that the PS airflow is
going to contribute much to overall system cooling given the amount of
airflow I can feel coming out the back of it.

Given this system, do you feel H/D coolers would be of true benefit - i.e.
significantly extend their life?

Doc

Apparently, since you x-posted to the exact same groups.

And not too concerned about excess bandwidth, since not only posting the
entire original message you also post the properties path.

I bet top-posting also really pisses you off.

Are YOU neccessary? No.

*plonk*

From: "Doc" <docsavage20 xhotmail.xom>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.computer.works
hop
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 06:05:43 GMT
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard:7730 alt.computer.workshop:12194

Brian K

Forgot the DVD burner.
SCSI Drives generate a lot of heat and need extra fans. I don't know
about SATA as I don't have one. Are you overclocking this machine? You
might need the hdd fans. I don't know what the wattage of your PS may
be. But you can get fan happy and end up overtaxing your PS...not to
mention the additional noise.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

Carl

I dont think they need cooling, but what i did was to put my raptor into a
silentmaxx enclosure- that really reduced the racket it makes

John Weiss

Doc said:
P4 2.4 gig in a generic ATX tower, WinXP, 1 Sata, 1 IDE, NVidia GeForce FX
5200, 1 gig ram, Pinnacle capture card, to be used primarily for video
capture/editing.

Besides the 80mm side case fan it came with with, I've added an 80mm
intake
and 120mm exhaust. I could be wrong but I don't sense that the PS airflow
is
going to contribute much to overall system cooling given the amount of
airflow I can feel coming out the back of it.

Given this system, do you feel H/D coolers would be of true benefit -
i.e.
significantly extend their life?

If one of the intake fans blows directly across the HDs (as mine does), you
shouldn't need anything extra. Otherwise, use a utility that reads the HD
SMART data to find out their temps. If they run too warm, do something for
them.

Rod Speed

Doc said:
P4 2.4 gig in a generic ATX tower, WinXP, 1 Sata, 1 IDE, NVidia
GeForce FX 5200, 1 gig ram, Pinnacle capture card, to be used
primarily for video capture/editing.

Besides the 80mm side case fan it came with with, I've added an 80mm
intake and 120mm exhaust. I could be wrong but I don't sense that the
PS airflow is going to contribute much to overall system cooling
given the amount of airflow I can feel coming out the back of it.

Given this system, do you feel H/D coolers would be of true benefit -
i.e. significantly extend their life?

Unlikely unless you have the two drives mounted adjacent with
no free space between them and you have higher room temps.

Check the hard drive temps using Everest. I prefer to keep the drive temps
below about 40C but 45C is unlikely to make much difference to the life.

Doc

SCSI Drives generate a lot of heat and need extra fans. I don't know
about SATA as I don't have one. Are you overclocking this machine?

No immediate plans to do so but I suppose it's possible. I noticed mentions
of overclocking in the manual. My impression of "overclocking" was that it
was something gonzo computer freaks did that was outside the parameters of
what you were "supposed" to do with a CPU - i.e. apply massive amounts of
cooling and cross your fingers. But apparently these days mobos are built
with overclocking capabilities built into them?
You
might need the hdd fans. I don't know what the wattage of your PS may
be.

470 Silencer from PCPC.
But you can get fan happy and end up overtaxing your PS...not to
mention the additional noise.

Probably not likely with this PS.